Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to replace the windshield on a 05 tj? since i can get the parts for 130 or so i would much rather do it myself than spend 300 to have allstar come out and do it... just wondering if it is an all day thing or what and what i would have to do and what things i need to do said replacement??

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Check out jeepglass he's local and you guessed it, a jeeper
http://www.jeepglass.com/

Also I have never replaced any(my windshield has been cracked for 4 years) so I can't tell ya hard/easy it is. If ya try it do a write up on it !

·
Registered
979 Posts
Checked on this last year was quoted 90 bucks just for the glass.
You need a hot knife to cut the urethane sealant. Then clean it good and stick the new windshield in with a new layer of urethane sealer you apply a bead with a caulking gun, press the windshield in the sealer gently enough to not crack it but with enough force to get the sealant to squish and adhere to the glass then let it cure. Cutting the old sealant is the biggest pain of the whole project a heated knife of sorts is the ticket

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aw12345 said:
Checked on this last year was quoted 90 bucks just for the glass.
You need a hot knife to cut the urethane sealant. Then clean it good and stick the new windshield in with a new layer of urethane sealer you apply a bead with a caulking gun, press the windshield in the sealer gently enough to not crack it but with enough force to get the sealant to squish and adhere to the glass then let it cure. Cutting the old sealant is the biggest pain of the whole project a heated knife of sorts is the ticket
Well I will attempt this when the funds permit and I will do a extended write up on said project thank you guys

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mumblewood said:
Check out jeepglass he's local and you guessed it, a jeeper
http://www.jeepglass.com/

Also I have never replaced any(my windshield has been cracked for 4 years) so I can't tell ya hard/easy it is. If ya try it do a write up on it !
yea my glass is cracked all the way across except about 8 inches from the passenger side A pillar.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
When I bought my Jeep it had a quarter sized chip/crack/spiderweb thingy in the upper right corner of the windshield.
I went to a local glass shop and they replaced it for $120 installed. I'm a happy camper.
The next weekend, I'm headed out to Anza Borrego to wheel with the San Diego group and a truck goes by on the other side of the two lane road..
You guessed right, a rock hits my windshield in the exact same spot and now there is a half dollar sized chip/crack/spider web thingy in the upper right corner of my windshield.
Did I replace it? Nope. It's body damage I got myself, not something the previous owner left me. Besides, it would just happen again if I did.
It looked pretty easy to replace when he did it. Took a grand total of twenty minutes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RikRotorhead said:
When I bought my Jeep it had a quarter sized chip/crack/spiderweb thingy in the upper right corner of the windshield.
I went to a local glass shop and they replaced it for $120 installed. I'm a happy camper.
The next weekend, I'm headed out to Anza Borrego to wheel with the San Diego group and a truck goes by on the other side of the two lane road..
You guessed right, a rock hits my windshield in the exact same spot and now there is a half dollar sized chip/crack/spider web thingy in the upper right corner of my windshield.
Did I replace it? Nope. It's body damage I got myself, not something the previous owner left me. Besides, it would just happen again if I did.
It looked pretty easy to replace when he did it. Took a grand total of twenty minutes.
Except I got my jeep like this and the cops up here can be real nasty about a cracked windshield especially if its right across your sight line like mine is... I'm wanting to avoid that because my friend got pulled over and got hit with a $700 slip....

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Ouch! Seven Benjamins for a crack? Crack cocaine is cheaper!
He should have fought it in court and said the city never fixed that crack in his sidewalk in front of his house that he tripped over.
Yeah, I'd get it fixed quickly too at that price.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Whats dwls?

Also if ya get pulled over tell them it just happened and if there gonna give you a ticket ask for a "fix it ticket", so long as its fixed before a certain date then the ticket is void.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
:confused: dwls?

Hmmmm......
Driving While Leaving Skidmarks?
Doing Wide Latin Students?

I give up.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Driving while lisence suspended
Hmmmm they spell 'license' funny in Washington. Kinda' like the Canadians with 'colour' and stuff....

Just messing with you.

Why would you drive without a license? Does he drive intoxicated too? Does he run stop signs and speed through school zones?
Pretty serious offense.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm they spell 'license' funny in Washington. Kinda' like the Canadians with 'colour' and stuff....

Just messing with you.

Why would you drive without a license? Does he drive intoxicated too? Does he run stop signs and speed through school zones?
Pretty serious offense.
not sure but he didn't know he was driving with a suspended license. but he spent 7 days in jail and has a 7k fine for no license but 7 hundo for the crack.. i really dont want that

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yeah, seven hundred does seem rediculous for a fix it ticket.
I'm curious how you could NOT know you have a suspended license. The court notifies you, the DMV notifies you, and you probably did something wrong to cause it so you know yourself. What was his excuse for not knowing?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no clue... I just know I picked him up from jail and he told me they pulled him over for a cracked windshield ....

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
Except I got my jeep like this and the cops up here can be real nasty about a cracked windshield especially if its right across your sight line like mine is... I'm wanting to avoid that because my friend got pulled over and got hit with a $700 slip....
ight sooo window replacement get your paint code. get 3 cans(spraypaint) of whatever color your rig is. soak down the torx bolts holding on the hinge and ditch the whole window/frame for like a 100 bucks and a few hours your donee. we have safelite around here for a window its like 250 installed and all but not in a jeep we normally just grab a fresh one from a yard clean it up&paint it.

^that sounds confusing i shouldn't give tech advice hungover.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Redjeeper said:
ight sooo window replacement get your paint code. get 3 cans(spraypaint) of whatever color your rig is. soak down the torx bolts holding on the hinge and ditch the whole window/frame for like a 100 bucks and a few hours your donee. we have safelite around here for a window its like 250 installed and all but not in a jeep we normally just grab a fresh one from a yard clean it up&paint it.

^that sounds confusing i shouldn't give tech advice hungover.
If I can find a yard around here that has a frame and window for my rig I will do that and I would probably paint it with bedliner

·
Registered
331 Posts
Call your ins. co.

Some states (like Ky) have a law requiring them to replace a windshield, regardless of deductible or type of policy.

Might not work, but worth a shot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts