Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a winch but I'm not sure what I should get? Do I need to buy a new bumper or anything to mount the winch or will it mount onto the stock bumper? Also hydraulic or electric? I won't be off roading a ton so I'm thinking electric but I need some help!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
What is your budget? I am not familiar with the JK bumper, but I would assume you would need a winch mounting plate.
You have the two door JK so it is a little lighter than the four door.
An 8K winch would work fine for very little use, a 9.5K would be a better workhorse.
Brand depends on what kind of money you want to throw at it and if you are into labels or not.
I have the Smittybuilt XRC8 8K winch and have used it nearly a hundred times in many different situations, including around my ranch, and it works flawlessly. It is less expensive than the Warn, but the Warn is good too. Rugged Ridge makes a winch but I have no information on it's performance, dependability, or price. The vendors here sell it and others.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked up the one you said you have and I think I'll actually go with that or one close to it. Most of the winches I've been finding were in the 500-700 range but these smittybuilt ones are callin me with those low prices

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I call it a throw away winch. It was so inexpensive that if it breaks or fails, I can throw it away and go buy another one and still haven't spent what a Warn costs. Problem is, most people that have an XRC8 never have them fail. Not any more often than a Warn.
The mounting plate is not expensive at all. Get the kit for the winch that comes with the tree strap, d-rings, choker chain, snatch block, etc... All that stuff comes in real handy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Smittybilt winch on JK

I just put a Smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch on my 2010 JK and I'm very pleased with it.

The big reason for going with the X20 was that it is advertised as virtually waterproof--the only winch I found that makes that claim. Ok, you can't put it in the bottom of the swimming pool for days on end and expect it not to leak, but they say you can expect it to survive mud and ford deep streams with no adverse impact. Why the 10K? Well, I did the weight calculations and figured that the 8k version would be fine. But they were on sale at 4WD.com and there was only a slight difference between the price of the 8k and 10k, soooooooo.

It is heavy. I use my JK mostly to tow my side-by-side ATV to places like Moab, so the winch is not something I expect to use much. I opted to save the money the synthetic cable would have cost, since the JK winch is just insurance in case we find ourselves on some sandy trail and get bogged down 30 miles from civilization. It rides along primarily for comfort factor, in our case.

I checked with my local off road store and found there is a plate that mates the winch to the stock bumper. But the cost, installed, was $400 and I would lose the tow hooks that stick up from the top of the stock bumper. Hmmmm. Instead, for about the same price I went to a Bestop High Rock bumper that allowed me to retain the stock fog lamps (you move them from old to new bumper) and also have tow rings. And much higher ground clearance to boot.

I did the install myself. There are four nuts on each side of the stock bumper. After you remove the cheap plastic wind deflector, you get under the Jeep and use a socket to remove the nuts. Each side has two that are easy to remove, and two that aren't. For the latter you need a variety of short extensions because there is a place where the wrench works fine, but there is no room to go towards the nut or away from it. It has to be just right. The nuts on my 2010 JK were not torqued significantly and were easy to remove. By the way, I don't remember the socket size but the Jeep seems to have metric nuts, which is nuts. Maybe a holdover from the days of Daimler Benz.

The stock bumper and the High Rock are both fairly light. One person can easily carry either one (I'm 67 years old). BUT, you must install the winch to the bumper before you put it back on the Jeep. Plus, in my case, I opted for the bar that goes over the winch on the High Rock (comes in black or stainless, the latter perfectly matched the size and finish of the stainless steps I had installed earlier). That must be attached to the bumper at the same time. This is really an advantage since once the bumper is on the Jeep a thief would need to remove that heavy bumper before he could steal the winch.

Now, with the winch in place and bolted to the bumper (be sure to get the roller fairlead installed on the bumper while you are installing the winch, because once the winch is on the bumper and on the Jeep it may not be possible to attach the fairlead due to wrench clearance problems) you are ready to bring up the Jeep. But the whole assembly is HEAVY. I'm guessing that winch adds at least 100 lbs. My neighbor helped me and his motorcycle jack made it easy to lift the assembled bumper in place and run the 8 pins that come fixed to the bumper into the holes on the frame. The original nuts won't fit because the pins on this aftermarket bumper are not quite as big as the stock pins, but the High Rock came with the new nuts.

Now my JK sits a tad lower in the front than it used to. Not much, but it is noticeable if you look. So when I do the lift kit I will try to find one with a half inch more lift in the front than the back. So, if you can get a good deal on the synthetic cable, you might consider the weight that would be saved. Aftermarket synthetic cables cost almost what I paid for the winch, so I'm past the decision point.

The winch and bumper look terrific, and the winch will be there if I ever need it. Go for it.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Like you, I went with the X2O winch, it can literally be used under water, I have seen it with my own eyes as my son has these winches on his Jeep and pickup. I did go with the 8,000 pound model, and synthetic line though. Also went with a new bumper, but did consider just buy a winch mounting plate and staying stock. But I wanted custom bumpers for a few reasons, like a hitch on the rear bumper, and a removeable rack that actually mounts to the bumpers, but lifts off, so when not in use I don't have to have it there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts