Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a lot of threads, posts and such here about people changing diffs to otherones, pulled from other vehicles. It makes me scratch my head at best, and no its not lice.
Why did Jeep build our offroad vehicles out of such junk parts? Or are the parts not really that bad, but people just like to trash talk? Or is it just blatant driver abuse? I have gone offroading with not just my own, but many other vehicles. Never seen a Jeep wrangler break a diff yet. While I am sure it happens, I just have not seen it with my own eyes. I did find that even when not driven hard, I could not keep a transmission in my chevy pickup, but that's a whole different story. But Jeep stuff has always appeared tough to me, which is part of the reason I purchased another one. Discuss please. Who has seen them blow, and why?

·
Registered
979 Posts
When a factory builts a vehicle cost in manufacture and cost of parts is a big factor so they use parts that are adequate for the application, not what is overkill. Stock TJ's came with 28 or 30" tires not what we like to bolt on there say something ranging between 33-42" tires. Nor is the stock vehicle designed to do rock crawling or mudding.
Of all the axles bolted under Jeeps basically the only one that is a poor axle is the Dana 35. Dana 30 is a tough little axle.
The axles under the JK are considerably stronger then what was bolted under the TJ's in stock form
Still can stand a bit of help, in the strength department if you wheel the Jeep hard, but for your intended use what you have is more than adequate.

·
37 Posts
I've been told my jeep can do quite a bit stock. I've not had the chance to do much with her though since the nearest place to go legally is in PA. Dont have the time or the money to do that yet. But Stock (except for changing tires up to 31") my jeep's gone through 3 foot of snow with ease, about 2.5" of water, and through mud half way up the tires (went on a dirt bike trail). She's done fine the only thing i've had to replace are my Rear U-joints. (literally just got them in the mail). Jeeps are tough stock but how much they can with stand depends on the driver i would think.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good discussion so far, hoping thread helps newbie offroaders. I believe my Jeep came with 32 inch tall tires stoock, and I am looking to maybe go to about 34 or 35 inch ones come spring. But I am not terribly hard on it, sure I offroad it, but I don't slam it into 3 foot dieameter boulders in 4th gear or anything. Its more about going into a mudhole at maybe 5 mph, and then flooring it. Or crossing some logs and stumps in the bush etc. Going through some ditches, they are about the worst as it drags both ends pretty hard sometimes. But that is low range, 1st gear and maybe a light tap on the throttle, not some flying start, and full throttle applications.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I have owned four jeeps now, all came stock with dana 35 rear and dana 30 fronts. I blew a dana 35 with 28" tires on a road but then again I was being dumb. Other then that I have wheeled the piss out of the last few dana 35's with 33" tires and never had an issue and all had well over 100,000 miles on them with little or no maintenance. Yes the Dana 35 is the weakest of axles that Jeep used but it is still an ok axle if you know how to wheel. Very few axles will hold up to spinning and grabbing all the time. If you abuse things they will break. I was taught that momentum is your best friend and will save axle parts.

That said I put in a Dana 60 because I wanted something that came from the factory built to withstand years of abuse in a one ton truck so putting it in my little jeep should not faze it in the least.

·
Jeep flyer
4,746 Posts
Coolet90 said:
I've been told my jeep can do quite a bit stock. I've not had the chance to do much with her though since the nearest place to go legally is in PA. Dont have the time or the money to do that yet. But Stock (except for changing tires up to 31") my jeep's gone through 3 foot of snow with ease, about 2.5" of water, and through mud half way up the tires (went on a dirt bike trail). She's done fine the only thing i've had to replace are my Rear U-joints. (literally just got them in the mail). Jeeps are tough stock but how much they can with stand depends on the driver i would think.
I knew my stock jeep could things. Then i went to turkey bay and learned a whole heck of a lot from a lovely group of people about what my jeep really could do .

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
as mentioned above.... factory cost,,, you think many people would pay an extra 7K for D-60 axles.... i think not

i have wheeled the piss outta my jeep and have survived without much damage,,, broke the roof ( its a long story )

i wheel with one guy that has br0ken everything,, front axle\rear axle\steering box\ oil pan\trans pan\gas tank\ripped muffler off\ you name it he has broken it and we wheel the same trails.

another guy i wheel with ,,,, easy to say the only think stock on his jeep is the steering wheel... he is now on 1 ton axles and turning 48 inch tires....

jeeps are like Harleys,,,,,,, ya just cant leave them stock.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
We are die hard Jeepers. Jeeps weren't made to really do what we do with them, they were made for those who might leave paved roads and go down a moderate trail a typical Civic wouldn't sweat to go through. We are amongst only a small bit of the population of Jeepers that actually modify our Jeeps, bigger tires, lift kits, etc. etc. The stock assembly is a durable and rigid setup that can go a lot of places that Jeep probably didn't even realize they would go. So, a stock jeep is perfectly fine.

Anytime you modify something beyond factory specifications is when you will without a doubt run into some form of issue, whether it be a strength issue, a durability issue, even a driveline angle issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.