Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have changed tires that are no longer super loud I can now hear a whining noise I believe is coming from my rear end. When I last put my stock tires on to register it I do not remember having this noise. I put my 33 coopers back on and again couldnt hear when the noise started cause of the tire noise. But now that I changed to 31 Thunderer tires that are much quieter, I hear this whining noise. If I let off the gas it drops off and as soon as I get back on the gas it comes back and continues until I let of the gas or switch to neutral and coast. Am I right to assume its the rear gears? If so what can I do to stop it or what is causing it. Could this lead to something serious? I changed the oil, which looked horrible, but it still persists. Hope you guys can help

·
8,091 Posts
Possible wheel bearing

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant imagine it would be the wheel bearings cause when i let off the gas it stops. I'm thinking wwch99 is right and its the bearings in the gears. wwch99 did you replace the wheel bearings and seals just for good measure or was that adding to the noise. If wheel bearings and seals are shot the noise would be there when off the gas or if you pop it into neutral. right?

·
Low Output 2.5
674 Posts
I just did them for good measure, I figured while it was apart I might as well.
The only Bearings I didn't replace was the pinion bearing because they were good tight.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any danger if I drive it a bit longer before I fix it? will it just continue to make a noise and not do any damage to anything else? What is the typical situation for this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts