Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im not a firm believer in the term build thread. I'm not building anything, and if i were i'd be posting a "build thread" on pirate. I, like most people am just bolting crap on, no need to try and church it up. With that being said, I figured i'd start a post of the crap I've done, and am doing to my jeep, and doing on the cheap.

I bought my 92 yj islander in march of 2011, drove 7 hours each way to get it. When i bought it it had no bumpers, transmission was getting stuck in 4th gear, and wouldn't release, had worn out STTs on it, an 8.8 rear, d30 front with solid passenger side shaft, ARB and 3.73's, set up for SOA, crappy lift springs and a shackle lift, had a few other things as well..

I wheeled it a bit and found quickly where it needed improvement, if memory serves me this is what i replaced or did to it in somewhat chronological order:

New steering stabilizer
Fixed exhaust, and threw a flowmaster muffler on, with new tail pipe
Bought pro comp rear bumper, and xrc style knock off front bumper
threw an amp and sub i had from my car in
Experimented with new springs for the rear, ended up throwing a tundra add-a-leaf in a set of stock yj springs to bring the rear up to match the front
got rock rails and welded them to the frame
got a crappy center console
threw in a cobra cb
tj door tops for my hard half doors to fit the hard top
replaced my crappy rear 6x9s with some kenwoods
made a hand throttle
got 35x1250r15 km2s
replaced the motor with a '99 long block
sold old rear bumper, and got a much cooler one with an air tank plumbed in, and swing out arm. looks similar to one made by bodyarmor now, but the company that made mine is no longer in business
got an engo 10000lb w/synthetic
warn winch plate
another set of daylighters
swapped in wagoneer springs front and rear
new front speaker pods that go in front of the shifter, with another set of kenwoods this time 5.25's
new speaker enclosures that go between the roll cage and the wheel wells, threw my 6x9s in them
new corbeau baja rs front seats
new besttop trailmax ii rear seat
5.5" tj fender flares
dodge durango steering box

so that pretty much brings me up to a week or so ago, now the bolt-on on the super cheap starts, i've already accomplished some of this, but the bulk of it should be done by the end of the month hopefully. In the end i'll only be out of pocket a few bucks for some misc things here and there.

Already done:
ARB Dexluxe winch bull bar bumper
Warn XD9000i, threw my synthetic rope on it, im not a fan of cable
Schroth Racing AutoControl II harness system, with release switch added
Steering box brace

Planned to do in the next 2 weeks:
Seatbelts
Seat brackets (mine suck)
Safari top with tonneau cover
Tuffy glove box safe
Exhaust including header, high flow cat, gibson catback
Rebuilt AX15
Swap in np231 equipped with TeraLow 4:1 w/JB Conversions SYE
Front driveshaft
HP Ford D44 with superwinch hubs, moser 30 spline axle shafts, detroit locker
Ford 9 inch with TrueHi9 3rd member, currie 35 spline axle shafts, detroit locker
Both axles narrowed to 64.5" WMS to WMS
4.56:1 gear ratio
New set of wheels 5 on 5.5

Then within the next few months I plan on adding a few more things:

Reid racing knuckles, high steer arms, crossover 1ton+ steering linkage, hydraulic ram assist
Build on board air out of AC compressor

I'm sure i'm forgetting some things, namely pictures, but i have them on my phone so those will have to wait for now, i suppose now i'll have a place to upload them when i take them..

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here's a shot from a few weeks ago

ForumRunner_20120415_032544.jpg

A few pics of how its looking now..
ForumRunner_20120415_032615.jpg

ForumRunner_20120415_033052.jpg

I figure I'll be able to keep up with pics now.. Id rather not bother trying to find old pics of it.. Maybe I'll find one of the day I got it..

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Nice list of mods so far, looking forward to the axle awap.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So am I :) I think i'll be the only person in Spokane with a truehi9 under a DD wrangler..

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Looks good! Nice list of mods. Any cage upgrade plans?

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I've got a cage I can use but someone else wants to buy it.. Won't work with my hard top either. I've seen how the stock cage holds up in a roll over, I'll be safe.. Plus my harness system uses the stock c pillar points on the family cage so I think they're plenty safe

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
the front windshield frame isn't as strong as you'd think. I'm modding my stock family cage in the front. I already modded the back for my kids' protection. The front I'm using the RockHard roll bar mounts that mount to the bulkhead where the speakers are.
Here's a pic of the rear mods I've done......

Attachments

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'll be okay for now, not too worried about it

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today i'm pulling the transmission out of one of our junker yjs, it's married up to a d300, going to divorse them and check the fluid. Wish the weather was nicer or I could work indoors

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The donor Jeep on built dynatrac HP 60s

ForumRunner_20120416_104529.jpg

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't get to it yesterday cuz the rain got worse, but we got it out and divorsed the d300. Used yesterday to put my tuffy glove box in.
ForumRunner_20120417_151152.jpg

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tuffy, forgot to attach the pic earlier

ForumRunner_20120417_213932.jpg

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the transfer case out of the other donor Jeep..

TeraLow 4:1 with jb sye
Also craigslist score today, found rear glass for my hard top for 50$

ForumRunner_20120418_123432.jpg

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took a little time to clean it up, it'll be much nicer to deal with
ForumRunner_20120418_135610.jpg

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Interestingly enough when I view this thread on any regular browser I can't go past the first page, and not all my posts are showing up.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
What browser are you using? On your phone or PC?

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tried my phones browser, chrome, Firefox, ie.. Had someone else try too.. Not all the posts on the first page load and when I try to go to page 2 it just reloads page 1

·
Registered
18 Posts
darkproximity said:
Tried my phones browser, chrome, Firefox, ie.. Had someone else try too.. Not all the posts on the first page load and when I try to go to page 2 it just reloads page 1
Similar problems with the IPad app.

New posts show up when you view current posts in a list, but when you go to the thread itself, it is a few pages behind. Refreshing the page doesn't solve the issue.

·
Moduhrater
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah the only way I can see new posts are from the mobile app.. Everything else just doesn't work.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts