Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What is the best oil and oil filter?

62K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  08Rescue 
#1 ·
What is the best oil and oil filter to put in my jk Jeep?:rolleyes:

#5 ·
One thing about Fram:

Those who like them will say nothing but good reviws about them. The others take advice from forum peanuts and put them off forever. FWIW the past few years Fram has stepped up their game immensely...

OP: What does your factory owners manual say? ;)

#7 ·
I can't respond to this actuation about fram.. but I know I've been using fram since my first car.. it's just been there and a part of our family of cars. Granted there was a few time I've used K&N oil filters.. (got to expensive) or allowed the lube shop use a house brand.. what I worried about with places like Jiffy.. I've taken my cars and trucks to them for many years but these last few times, I've stopped.. due tot he fact they were not paying attention.. and over filled everything.. spilled oil on the exhaust and once even installed the same oil filter again. but I would undoubted return to fram.. Prob because I can goto walmart or advanced auto and get these things myself.. There was a time when I could do all this stuff myself.. Now, I allow Valvoline instant oil change handle it for me.. But I still take my own oil and filters in..

#8 ·
$-Wheeler mag did an extensive test in 2011. Fram still looking bad, Mobil filter came out ahead big time! However, as long as you change them often as required, you may get by with a lesser quality. I change my filter every oilchange - just cheap insurance!

#11 ·
Although fram many not be the best I have not had any issues. I've always run them and I think one truck at 356,000 and another at 269,000 and many of my past vehicles over 200k speak for them selves. Not that I won't look into something better just saying fram aren't so bad.

#14 ·
Personally been a fan of Valvoline oils for almost 20 years; used the synthetic blend (DuraBlend label) all the way up to my Wrangler where I've been using their full synthetic. Usually used Mopar filter as I let my dealer do the oil change for me (but I insisted on using my oil... forced them to do a re-change when they forgot to use the oil I provided.) Not sure what I'll use in my new (to me) 1990 Ford F-150, though. May back off to their high-mileage synthetic with the next change and use a Valvoline filter.

I reviewed a number of oil filter discussions and for whatever reason they all considered the Fram the worst of the bunch--even stating that it was possible the cardboard end would let the oil bypass the filter itself entirely. Honestly, I don't know. Valvoline, Havoline (Texaco) and most of the others came out almost equal with some even offering too much of a good thing (more pleats in the filter than could even let oil pass through efficiently.)

Obviously you want the least back pressure you can find while still doing the job. Any excess internal pressures simply cause drag on the engine and reduce economy. Use what your Jeep is rated for and you should be fine.

#15 ·
You guys have to change your oil? Mine leaks it out onto the ground and I just keep pouring fresh oil in the engine. It's always clean.
So let me get this straight, if I fix the leak, I have to change the oil? Meh, too much trouble.

#26 ·
You guys have to change your oil? Mine leaks it out onto the ground and I just keep pouring fresh oil in the engine. It's always clean.
So let me get this straight, if I fix the leak, I have to change the oil? Meh, too much trouble.
You jest but a went to school with a kid who did the exact thing in his formula firebird. Needless to say it lasted about 40,000k...

Motul is another great oil according to the testing that guys had done on their oil in the Subaru form. It beat out Mobile 1 (which I use)... But it's not cheap at all...

#17 ·
That's the best way to find out what a connecting rod looks like without using tools. Bang!

#20 ·
I have a 94 yj that is sitting in the garage with the dash sitting in the seats. That is what I usually drive. Going to get it put back together Sunday sso it will be operational again.The CJ just sits in the driveway. Maybe one day I can afford to get it running good again. And the TJ is Barrie's. He lets me drive it once in awhile if I have been a good girl.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.