Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fairly new owner of an 89 yj Sahara hardtop unfortunately it was built in 88 so it has a ba-10 which I had to replace already np-231 t-case 258ci. What I want to do is something between stage 1 and 2 something with good flex I'm willing to sacrifice ride quality cause I've never a nice ride. I'm really looking more for lift configurations without spending more than 1500 bucks not including tires I'm planning on doing a lot of reviving to it in the spring new floor pans either a new soft top or remodeled hardtop. Suggestions would be nice.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I've had my '88 Wrangler with the BA10 for many years. I'm rolling 33's with 4:10's and the 258. Crawled many a boulder, was first one up the hill on a regular basis to be able to winch others up, never had a bit of trouble with the trans itself. I did have a bell housing bolt come loose and crack the bell housing, but nothing else.
The BA10 has a bad rap. It's not as bad as people say. Kinda' like the people that bag on the Dana-35. If you don't know how to drive off road, you are going to break it.
As far as a lift, how big? What size tires do you intend to end up with? How handy are you with tools? What kind of off roading will you be doing, rocks or mud/hills?
A good SOA can be done with a high-steer kit for around $1K and you use your stock springs. You will need new shocks, brake lines, etc... SOA flexes really well.
More details of what your plans are would help.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to end up with 33's maybe just run 32's. The jeep came stock with 225's so even to 32's is a big jump would I have to regear? I'm running 31's now with no noticable problems. Also i tried a shackle lift just for something quick but the springs are practically flat so that help none at all. I've looked into the soa kits and found that on average it about 5 to 6 inches of lift, correct me if I'm wrong, depending on the condition of your springs and I was looking maybe for 3 to 4 inches. I was looking at a quadratec catalogue and found a black diamond 3 inch kit for around 650 everything included as far as I can tell but the drop pitman arm, its a brand I'm not familiar with but I thinking about trying it out and I'm pretty good with tools I've done pretty much everything to a vehicle but a complete overhaul.
I'm not really much on rock crawling but occasionally there are rocks in my path, lockers are in the future and the only problem I had with the ha-10 was the main input shaft bearing but I found a rebuilt one on Craigslist for pretty cheap.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
All I can do is tell you what I'm running and I'm pretty happy with it.
I am SUA on 2.5" Rancho lift. No drop pitman arm required. I did a Daystar 1" body lift and a Brown Dog 1"motor mount lift to eliminate the t-case drop.
When I replaced the dana 35 with a Ford 8.8 I also swapped out the dana 30 with one out of a '95 four banger with 4:10's. I also at that point put in a SYE and DC drive shaft.
I am rolling on BFG AT 33X12.50/16's on Rubicon wheels from a TJ. I did the TJ fender flares for that extra inch of clearance.
My goal was to keep the center of gravity low and get 33's under it for axle clearance. Axle clearance is more important than body clearance, but with the mods I did I ended up with pretty good body/frame clearance as a result.
It doesn't feel top heavy on off camber trails and feels solid on the road. I removed the track bars and installed JKS sway bar disconnects. I disconnected my sway bar a couple years ago and never re-connected it. Don't really need it with YJ leaf springs with good bushings.
Rock rails will be handy, front heavy duty diff cover, get everything tucked up as high as you can and go have fun without throwing a bunch of money at your rig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts