Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If you have an owners manual i would consult that. Since I don't own a Jeep i really don't know, and its no comparison to my 3/4 ton diesel truck... :/

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
A little more info would be nice, what model wrangler,TJ, LJ,YJ,JK,JKU, 4 or 6 cylinder, standard or auto?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I have seen them tow small tent trailers all over the place. I have towed my 21 foot boat to the lake and back a bunch but I would not go on the highway with it or for a long distance.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Official when I emailed Jeep and asked, the '12 Rubicon can tow 2000 lbs not trailer brakes, and 2,500 with trailer brakes. The Rubicon unlimited 2500 lbs without, or 3500 lbs with trailer brakes. So the Unlimited weighs more and is longer, but same engine, transmission and differentials, so obviously the concern is the trailer then pushing the Jeep, not the robustness to tow . My old jeep had far less power, and I without asking what it could tow, towed lots of stuff with it. So while my guess is you can tow anything reasonable, say a 5,000 lb trailer if you really felt like it. It would be illegal to do so, and if in a crash, the lawsuit that could happen would be unpleasant. If your not concerned by the law, then even Jeep knows that 3500 lbs is well within the drivetrains abilities as that's legal in the unlimited if you have trailer brakes. When you pull out a stuck chevrolet, it proves that it can tow 6,000 lbs of feces well enough, I know my old, underpowered Jeep did so several times.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D ya'll are funny. For the person that asked for more info /what kind of Jeep I have,,, it's an '09 wrangler X 2 door/4wd ..

thanks for all the replies! it sure is nice to have ppl who are helpful...

Jag1948

·
37 Posts
Short distances, i've towed a large round hay bale on a 6x8 open trailer (top speed was 30mph.. wasnt sure if the trailer was gonna make it).. i've towed a full enclosed 6x8 trailer down to florida, a 8x10 trailer with 2 four wheelers on it down to VA, and a 8x10 but it only had a generator, a tiller, and a coffee table in it down to florida.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 2000 TJ 4.0 Automatic and I tow a 6x12 v-nose enclosed trailer that weighs 1000lbs empty I have about 1500 lbs of tools and equipment in the trailer so that makes 2500 lbs the jeep has more than enough power and torque to pull it and it stops it pretty good but the short wheel base and the rear coil springs do not accept high speed towing! as long as I keep at 55 mph or slower its fine around town but NO INTERSTATE driving it does not do well at highway speeds.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I have towed by 21 foot boat on a dual axle trailer to and from the lake but I wouldn't do it on the highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
94' 4cyl jeep wrangler

This jeep has a 5 speed manual. I have read that the tow capacity is not governed just by the eng. size, but the wheel base also, but lets say 2000lbs is the max.. The wheel base is the bigger issue in my mind. That being said can I get by (easier) pulling a (tent trailer) under 2000 or maybe at 2000lbs with the 4 cyl.?

Thanks for the time,

Brakallie1 (Central Oregon)

·
Yes I should know better.
978 Posts
My 2012 JK 2door, would tow around my last boat and did very well.
Boat, trailer, gas, was about 4500 pounds. So 2000 more than the manual said was allowed.
Never once had a concern.
At a bad boat launch when a fellow boater could not pull his boat out of the river with his cheby tahoe, I hooked on with my jeep and pulled it out for him. Never send a great big v8 engine cheby, to try and even attempt what a little v6 jeep can easily accomplish. He estimated the boat and trailer was between 7k and 8k pounds.
4lo and just drove up the gravel river bank without fuss.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts