Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and a new jeep owner by about a moth.mive got an '08 x 2 door. Absolutely love having a jeep. I've been offroading 2 times with the crappy stock wrangler SRA tires. Getting a set of 265 70 17 dura traks put on tomorrow.

Other than that I'm planning on a smitty winch. Something around $299

This is a semi daily driver. It's a third vehicle but I drive it all the time because it love it. So it's not meant to be an offroad beast. However I want to do some reasonable a value adding mods. Like tires winch and ????? What else?

Thinking about a steel from bumper to compliment the winch and provide a good mounting point. II, also thinking it would be a good idea to add some skid plates.

I'm not planning on ever tackling obsticals that make me ask" I wonder if I can get over that?" I just want to go where a car won't take yu and have fun with friends and family.

I'm looking for cost effective solutions for the essentials and are additonal skid plates, bumpers etc the right starting point? Or should I be investing in other safety related items? I've got to keep my costs down as much as possible though.

Also no lifting planned here. I've got an extended warranty and don't want to created any automatics arguments at the dealer should I ever try to use it.

Please pass on your advise for this new guy.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Good set of tires. Lockers if you don't have them or at least an Aussie locker in the front, they are only a couple hundred bucks and worth every penny. The Smitty XRC8 winch is a good buy unless all you is rock crawl then you will want a Warn or something similar ( I run the Smitty and have no problems). Sway bar disconnects if you don't have them.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Skid plates for everything you can afford, rock rails for the sides, corner armor. Tools set just incase. Friends and go wheeling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so it sounds like I'm on the right track. What about the sequence. If I belly u for all of that I may get kicked out of the house! Can you put those in order of priority? My first guess:
  1. Skid plates
  2. Lockers
  3. Armor
  4. Winch

This is assuming I plan to be careful and not need the winch for a while

also as for the lockers, need some specific education here, I know absolutely nothing about them.

I'm eager for all the feedback from everyone.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
You have the sequence about right. Just remember a locker is going to get to into a place where your are really stuck so the winch will be handy. I would do the winch before armor.

There are a lot of good lockers out there but if you are on a budget the Aussie is a great locker and easy to install. They run about $250 bucks and work great. I have run them in my last three jeeps. Hopefully some other will chime in on their experiences.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would say think about what kind if wheeling you like/plan to do. Build up your jeep to get the function that you need. If you like easy trails and just getting where a car can't, you can probably do without most of the mods you're planning. If, on the other hand, you want to do something more advanced, start with protection first.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tippittrg said:
I would say think about what kind if wheeling you like/plan to do. Build up your jeep to get the function that you need. If you like easy trails and just getting where a car can't, you can probably do without most of the mods you're planning. If, on the other hand, you want to do something more advanced, start with protection first.
Well I want to stay to basic trails. I'm not looking to make my own. Just fun offroad with friends and family.maybe some some offroad camping trips. Not sure how else to answer the question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My school of thought is this. Jeeps are pretty impractical vehicles already. Little to know room for storage, poor gas mileage and so on. Throw on a lift, bigger tires, bumpers, armor and such and it takes a your money at the gas station. Jeeps are very capable right out of the box and a lot of the stuff we put on really isn't needed in many cases. But it does look bad ass! Build it the way you want it, but also the way you need it. All that matters is that you enjoy it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tippittrg said:
My school of thought is this. Jeeps are pretty impractical vehicles already. Little to know room for storage, poor gas mileage and so on. Throw on a lift, bigger tires, bumpers, armor and such and it takes a your money at the gas station. Jeeps are very capable right out of the box and a lot of the stuff we put on really isn't needed in many cases. But it does look bad ass! Build it the way you want it, but also the way you need it. All that matters is that you enjoy it.
Thanks! I agree for what I am looking to do. I upgraded my tires yesterday to dura tracks. I don't plan to do a lift but I do want to protect my jeep from my mistakes as well as from the abuse that a trail will give. Also, I want I make sure it is safe for the passengers. Adequate traction stability, capability etc. If I get stuck I need to get out. Tow hooks and winch. Anything else fit this category?

I think I'm going to plan on a few more skid plates, then the winch and tow hooks. Is it worth upgrading the front or rear bumper for that matter? My gut tells me no. It just looks awesome!

What about roll cage reinforcement? I don't plan on rolling it but I've read some magazine articles that make roll overs sound common.

Anything I am not thinking of?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bumpers look good but are not really necessary a winch plate will do. Pavement ends has a jk bumper for $200 then the winch mount is about another $100. The factory tow hooks are just fine and a highlift jack you could use to winch yourself out as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
what about roof cargo racks for long trips. I would love to take a long vacation in my jeep. as was mentioned,,, they don't have much room for cargo....

i don't have roof rails,, and it's a 2 door. any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out quadratec. They have just about everything you need. Roof racks at nice but you also have to think about what you put on it. Most mount to the windshield frame up front and the frame/bumper in the rear.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Don't forget to bring a shovel ans someone who knows how to use it....

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Get a better one tho'. That one looks high maintenance.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Never wheel alone.
Always wheel with somebody that enjoys it as much as you do.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
First Aid Kit
Air Compressor
Tire repair kit
Jack and 4 way
Spare tire
CB Radio
Recovery straps and D rings and winch.
Food and Water
Lighter
Flash light
Flare's
Small bad of most used tools
Machete and knife ( gun if u have a permit)
Extra u joints
Jumper cables
Motor and PS oil
One jug of mixed anti freeze
Towel and blanket
Jacket, beanie, pair of good work gloves (pit crew)
Stomach relief pills and aspirin or any thing like that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is far better to have and to not need than it is to need and not have, remember that and the simple fact, Jeeps are built, not bought. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts