Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm sick and tired of worrying about my rockers everytime i hit the trail so im in the planning stages of building some sliders for the jeep. My rockers arent perfect and have some filler under the paint so im sure it would be a pain to try and fit a flat piece of metal to them and have it look good.

so im pretty sure i want to build a set of sliders that are mounted to the frame. My question is.. Will welding them cause any negative effects to the strength of the metal in my frame? and will the welds be strong enough to handle regular trail abuse?

·
Registered
979 Posts
depends on you weld them on and how you make your sliders. You use them hard they generally will push into the tub.
So a set of well made home tub mounted sliders might be the ticket. In a way it all depends what you do with your Jeep.
I use mine quite a bit and my homemade sliders seem to hold up pretty well.

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
Well I'm sick and tired of worrying about my rockers everytime i hit the trail so im in the planning stages of building some sliders for the jeep. My rockers arent perfect and have some filler under the paint so im sure it would be a pain to try and fit a flat piece of metal to them and have it look good.

so im pretty sure i want to build a set of sliders that are mounted to the frame. My question is.. Will welding them cause any negative effects to the strength of the metal in my frame? and will the welds be strong enough to handle regular trail abuse?
Mine are welded to the frame AND had a length of angle iron to fit on the tub as well. I left the tub mounted piece off and have not had any trouble. They may flex enough to contact the tub at some point, but I have hit them pretty hard and haven't touched the tub, yet. The welding will not weaken your frame unless you REALLY get it hot . Just give some cooling time between welds and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine are welded to the frame AND had a length of angle iron to fit on the tub as well. I left the tub mounted piece off and have not had any trouble. They may flex enough to contact the tub at some point, but I have hit them pretty hard and haven't touched the tub, yet. The welding will not weaken your frame unless you REALLY get it hot . Just give some cooling time between welds and you'll be fine.
Or mount them to fish plates that are welded to the frame, that would be the preferred way of doing this

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Or mount them to fish plates that are welded to the frame, that would be the preferred way of doing this
are you referring to the plates the body mounts are bolted to? if so, mine are tweaked pretty bad i dont think i could even do a 1 inch daystar body lift the way it sits.. my jeeps been hit HARD at some point the whole right side of my tubs been replaced!

·
Registered
979 Posts
A fish plate would have tapered ends so you do not weld straight across the frame which in the trucking world is an absolute no no. This way it would not really affect the strength of the frame it would actually add to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gotcha, now that you guys describe it i believe ive seen those before. I like that idea! i could then weld in some gussets to help keep the sliders from flexing upward.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
aw12345 said:
A fish plate would have tapered ends so you do not weld straight across the frame which in the trucking world is an absolute no no. This way it would not really affect the strength of the frame it would actually add to it.
I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pics! give me some ideas on the best way to attach them. It appears you have yours bolted to the fram as well?

I just realized no one has mentioned the loss of ground clearance at the rockers when welding to the frame. anyone with frame mounted sliders ever find themselves wishing they had more clearance? im running 33s with 4 inches of lift so i get pretty close to them on a regular basis when wheeling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.