Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I go through water or get the motor wet my 1995 YJ is going dead someone said put grease in wires. Is it that easy or does the distributor need to be changed ? Once it dries everything runs again fine. Really cramping my life style.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You may have a cracked distributor cap.
Lift he cap and run a thin bead of RTV silicone around the lip.
Spray the wires, cap, and coil with WD40. The WD stands for water dispersant.
Keep a can of it in your Jeep. I do, and when I do a too deep water crossing and it kills my engine I just spray the ignition system with it. Presto change-o you are back on the trail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RikRotorhead said:
You may have a cracked distributor cap.
Lift he cap and run a thin bead of RTV silicone around the lip.
Spray the wires, cap, and coil with WD40. The WD stands for water dispersant.
Keep a can of it in your Jeep. I do, and when I do a too deep water crossing and it kills my engine I just spray the ignition system with it. Presto change-o you are back on the trail.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You're welcome anytime. It's why we are here.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
How old are the wires? Don't buy cheap wires.

·
43 Posts
Here's a messy idea, bit it works. If you need to get a slight coating of grease on something like you would get from an aerosol spray, try Motorcycle Chain lube Spray. It goes on like WD loose and wet, and then the viscosity changes quickly to a greasy coating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gohot said:
Here's a messy idea, bit it works. If you need to get a slight coating of grease on something like you would get from an aerosol spray, try Motorcycle Chain lube Spray. It goes on like WD loose and wet, and then the viscosity changes quickly to a greasy coating.
Thank you sir

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.