Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? I'd love to get the Tuffy locking console but I can't find anyone that's selling one inexpensively. Not only that but I'm not too keen on the looks of the Tuffy.

Planning on getting the spice one, wanting to spice out my interior in favor of the fugly black/grey that I've got going on.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My seats are black... And the mechanisms are in piss poor shape.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it wrong to window shop for hours and hours, losing track of time? Because I was on Quadratec shopping for spice interior components last night...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone have one? I'd love to get the Tuffy locking console but I can't find anyone that's selling one inexpensively. Not only that but I'm not too keen on the looks of the Tuffy.

Planning on getting the spice one, wanting to spice out my interior in favor of the fugly black/grey that I've got going on.
I have a VDP console, but I would not suggest getting one if you are planning to keep people out of it. All someone has to do is apply minimal force to the top and it will open right up. Mine has been broken in to twice. luckily the thieves I have in my niegboorhood is kids looking for cigarettes, and I don't smoke.

Save the money and buy a Tuffy

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd almost rather build my own center console than put the ugly Tuffy inside, now that I really think about it. Not too keen on the Tuffy. Plus I guess if I really wanted to I could re-enforce the lock on the VDP...

Any suggestions for a rather roomy and touch center console then? Wanting something that's spice/tan color.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Just my experience is all,, but locks only stop those thieves not willing to break them. Any thief really wanting to steal an item will do so, even if locked up well. The more they have to work at it sometimes, just means they do more damage in the process. So maybe if a lock box isn't too strong, is almost a bonus, as they may not trash your interior so badly to get into it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I have the VDP console in my Jeep. The cup holders are worthless because the shifter hits what ever is in them, and they are not deep enough for anything bigger than a soda can.
The armrest pad is comfortable and thick, but the console is made out of MDF as mentioned. Not the strongest wood made. And the lock is just a simple cam lock. I think it has a lock on it just to keep your kids out of it, because one good tug and it's open.
The storage space is plentiful. I think you could modify the lid with some sheet metal on the inside and a better lock. Even a Tuffy can be broken into.
Your best bet is to A) not carry anything you can't afford to lose. B) get a good lock box and hide it in the back of the Jeep. C) park your Jeep in the garage.
Keep us posted with what you do. I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm going to get the VDP after doing a bit more research. I'll just modify the lock on it to be stronger, maybe even sheet the inside with some 1/8" steel. The reason I don't want the tuffy is because I think it's just ugly. I know we're not trying to make a fashion statement here, usually it's function over form, but I feel like the ebb and flow inside of the Jeep would work out better with a VDP console. Just a personal preference I guess.

If the inside is really as roomy as you guys claim it to be, would there be enough room to mount a stereo inside? Rather it be inside of the box over being out in the open.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yes .................

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Tuffy makes a good strong one but it's fugly.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Dont know if it helps but Ive made a couple cool lookin consoles out of ammo cans, I should take some pics of the stuff I do some time but I usually just try to get things done and out.

I found some cool lookin ones on another forum about Jeeps (theres your hint) and kinda made some off what others look like

1 - 17 of 17 Posts