Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my bucket list is taking a couple "ultimate vacations".

I'm curious what you all would classify as and ultimate vacation.

An over water glass floor bungalow in Bora Bora?
A Virgin Airways trip to outer space?
How about a trek to the South or North Poles?
Scuba diving in the Red Sea (supposed to be the best in the world)?
A safari in Kenya, hunting or not?
Climb K2 and ski back down?

Limit it to a one month or less vacation, money wise not rock star money.
Where would you go? What would you do there?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I donno, New Zealand for some snowboarding maybe.

Maybe grab an Enduro bike and head down the coast to Chile

I had a blast when I loaded up the Jeep on the trailer and headed down to No. Cal for a week a couple years ago, I could do that again

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
In some sort of bungalow on an ocean that was clear. No schedule, enough cocktails for my time there and a fishing boat. Thats all I need.

Something similar to this.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah that's Bora Bora (Tahiti). They sure did use a blue filter on that pic! But the water is clear and warm.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to rent this luxury yacht and tour the Mediterranean for a month. Hit all the tourist spots, Turkey, Italy, Spain, etc...
It has an Aerospatial A-Star on deck. Not my favorite helicopter but it seats six and flies OK.
Invite some good friends that know how to have a good time, be classy, and not be a nuisance.
It rents for around $100K/month plus expenses (crew, fuel, etc...)

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This would be an interesting vacation...........

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have thought about doing a canal cabin cruiser through France, England, or Ireland. The countries are laced with rivers and canals. You can rent one of these for about 400-500/week plus fuel. They have bicycles for treks into the towns/villages/castles etc... You can also get them with Vespas (scooters). Sleeps six to eight. Bring your own fishing gear.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
My wife and I have thought about doing one of those river cruises in Europe. Looks fun

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
In some sort of bungalow on an ocean that was clear. No schedule, enough cocktails for my time there and a fishing boat. Thats all I need.

Something similar to this.

I'm with you on this one.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't encourage him! He'll get arrested!

A few years back my girlfriend and I hiked the Na Pali Coast on the Kalalau Trail to the end. It took us two days because it was pouring down rain, it was slippery and very treacherous but beautiful. We saw literally hundreds of waterfalls. It's on the north shore of Kauai. The wettest spot on Earth is just three miles inland from there.
There used to be a Club Med at the end that people were either flown in by helicopter or brought in by boat. A couple buildings are still there even tho' it was abandoned back in the eighties because too many people drowned in the strong ocean current just off shore. It's called the Hanalei Express current.
But I digress. I will find some pics and post them here. Basically it's a beautiful valley that has a wide beach and a waterfall that drops onto the sand.
We backpacked in and stayed there for six days, never put our clothes on once. We never saw another person except a young girl that was hiking alone. Go figure. She stayed with us for two days.
But the point is, it was a tropical paradise at a deserted beach with perfect weather, fresh water, plenty of firewood, wild fruit trees, blue skies and ocean, and an occasional fishing boat went by.
It was an ultimate vacation for definite sure.
Here's a couple google pics of the area. I highly recommend this trail. National Geographic had it listed as the number two best trail in the world. Just be in decent shape with good footing. Some of the spots on the trail are about a foot wide with a 3-4 hundred foot drop to the rocks/ocean below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalalau_Trail

This is the beach at the end of the trail...

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are just into a day trip, you can hike in two miles to the river. The first two miles of the trail can be done by an average semi in shape person.
When you get to the river there is a poorly marked trail that goes inland along the river.
Do NOT go swimming at that beach! This sign does not lie. the current there is really strong...

The beach looks pretty tempting doesn't it? Don't do it.

Not recommended for people out of shape.....
Follow the trail inland abut two miles to Hanakap'ai Falls. It's a three hundred foot waterfall you can swim at the bottom of. You can't get too close to the bottom of the waterfall because you can't breathe the air. It's too full of moisture from the spray of the water hitting the water. And the water falling from three hundred feet kinda' stings a bit.
Leave early, pack food, wear good hiking shoes, drink lots of water......
Well worth the walk/hike.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kauai is an ultimate vacation spot. Not expensive to get there, stay there, and see. It is truly a tropical paradise and you are still in the USA. It's much more lush and tropical than the other Hawaiian Islands, but there isn't much of a night life. More of a romantic relaxing sightseeing adventure destination.

If you have any questions at all about Kauai, let me know. I used to live there (Hanalei) so I can answer your questions honestly. with no sales pitch...

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is beautiful Rik! View attachment 1145

But alas, to old and to out of shape. :(
Yeah I wouldn't attempt the full trail again. I've beat my body up over the years and I'm paying for it now.
But there is A LOT to see on that island that doesn't require much effort at all.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't attempt the full trail again. I've beat my body up over the years and I'm paying for it now.
But there is A LOT to see on that island that doesn't require much effort at all.

I hear ya on using up the body, if I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself. View attachment 1155

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a good vacation.... Deep sea fishing.
Went in Bahia de Banderas (Puerto Vallarta, deepest bay in the world) and in the area between Caracas Venezuela and Aruba.
The latter was much better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts