Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Looking for some real world feedback on these lights. I currently have TruckLite and have had them for just under a year. I really wanted HIDs when I upgraded lights, but didn't have the $$ to get what I really wanted. I know there was a headlight shootout done and I have looked at those results, but what I am hoping is that somebody here has actually used both light setups in their Jeep.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not used HID's in my wrangler but I have used them in every other car I have ever owned, 97 3000gt, 01 grand cherokee, 13 Subaru STI, but now I have my 04 Rubi with the newest series trucklites and they are by far the best lights I have ever owned. Far more durable and longer lasting than any HID system, no flicker and most importantly, THEY ALWAYS TURN ON, unlike HIDs. I have always used top of the line HID systems and I will never go back. Not to mention, HID's in driving lights not designed for HID's are not only illegal but they are 9/10x an ******* move as you will be throwing off tons of glare. You made the right choice, dont waste your money downgrading your lights. Not to mention, unless you buy 55w ballasts to overload the bulbs you will not see an increase in light output, the Trucklites are amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I have this same thread on the other forums and you are the first person to recommend the TLs over HID projectors. I think the light output of the TLs is all over the place. Much better than stock though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The new series of truck lights has a better beam pattern imo, but keep in mind some scattered light in the right places is a good thing. Thats why some HID projectors have a ripple effect to the lense, it throws random light to help you see the eyes of animals and what not down the road and on the sides, if the light is projected perfectly down the center of the lane you would never see these things. My mian reason for recommending the TL's is not light ouput, its the fact that they will work everytime. I can not tell you how many times I have had an HID not fire, or flicker out, or just decide not to work at all. I have been installing various car electronics including HID's for many years and HID's are a nightmare even if done perfectly. I solder and heat shrink everything, dosnt matter, they still like to fail. Not to mention, I would much rather reduce the electricity my lights consume to less than a 194 marker bulb than to increase it to the point that you need to run a relay directly to the battery just to get enough juice to run them efficiently. There is a very good reason why the top of the line luxury auto manufacturers are all moving away from HID's over to LEDs. Its simply a far superior technology in every aspect, brighter, less heat, way less energy, more durable, and you never need to replace them. You can launch the Trucklites from a catapult onto concrete, go pick them up plug them back in and drive away. Try that with the HID's, you know, after you take the time to uninstall and reinstall all the extra wiring and ballasts and relays needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry for seeming so negative about the HIDs but I just cant understand why anyone would want them anymore, the tech is outdated and not to mention a horrible idea in an offroad vehicle. The vibration from a jeep on the road, let alone offroad will destroy HIDs much more quickly than in some luxury car. A delicate glass bulb and complex high draw electronics vs a solid state board with a tiny low draw diode that consumes next to no electricity should be a no brainier in an offroad setup. You already have amazing lights, the increase will be marginal at best. If I was you I would put that money towards something that will increase your Jeeps capabilities. Lift kit, SYE, heavy duty steering components, rockers guards, I dont know what you have done so far but I guarantee there is a far better place to put that money. If its lighting you want grab a pair of Rigid Industries D2 wide/driving lights to replace your fogs. I absolutely love mine, they are so incredibly bright I dont even need anything else combined with my trucklites, more light would only be a want.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I personally like the Truck-lights over the JW's, better beam pattern and looks. I will hopefully make this a little easier for you, my father runs one of the largest trucking companies in the state here, the owner is a bit eccentric and has never understood the term chrome dont get ya home. Everyone of his trucks is tricked out in chrome, stacks, bumpers, custom interiors and more lights then you see on a hess truck. He has one truck with over 300 individual lights on it. All of his trucks have HID's and they need to replace the systems on a regular basis. My father has HID's in his F250 work truck in both his headlights and fog lights. Every night when he turns on his lights he needs to get out of the truck and walk to the front to make sure they all are on, sometimes needing to turn them off and on a couple times to get them all to fire. And yes they are installed properly. I used to have the do the same thing. I cant tell you how wonderful it is that when I turn my lights on, I know they are on. If you really want HID's go ahead, but I would highly recommend you dont sell your trucklites. Saw your ad on wranglerforum. Your going to kick yourself in the head a year from now when you want to switch back and need to buy a new set. Trucklites are engineered to provide the maximum lumens that DOT legally allows from one set of lights driving on the road, what exactly are you trying to prove?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Why anybody would consider swapping their LED headlights for HID is beyond me.

HID lamps are sensitive. They break all the time, they have a thin electrode in the tip and are susceptible to vibrations. LED's are not, they have a lifespan about 10x longer, and light up instantly every time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why anybody would consider swapping their LED headlights for HID is beyond me.

HID lamps are sensitive. They break all the time, they have a thin electrode in the tip and are susceptible to vibrations. LED's are not, they have a lifespan about 10x longer, and light up instantly every time.
Perhaps the ones breaking are the cheap poor quality ones? I did an HID projector retrofit in July, and they are holding up beautifully. I've had no problems with vibrations or anything. The lights have been great on the road, tearing down forest service roads, or rock crawling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally like the Truck-lights over the JW's, better beam pattern and looks. I will hopefully make this a little easier for you, my father runs one of the largest trucking companies in the state here, the owner is a bit eccentric and has never understood the term chrome dont get ya home. Everyone of his trucks is tricked out in chrome, stacks, bumpers, custom interiors and more lights then you see on a hess truck. He has one truck with over 300 individual lights on it. All of his trucks have HID's and they need to replace the systems on a regular basis. My father has HID's in his F250 work truck in both his headlights and fog lights. Every night when he turns on his lights he needs to get out of the truck and walk to the front to make sure they all are on, sometimes needing to turn them off and on a couple times to get them all to fire. And yes they are installed properly. I used to have the do the same thing. I cant tell you how wonderful it is that when I turn my lights on, I know they are on. If you really want HID's go ahead, but I would highly recommend you dont sell your trucklites. Saw your ad on wranglerforum. Your going to kick yourself in the head a year from now when you want to switch back and need to buy a new set. Trucklites are engineered to provide the maximum lumens that DOT legally allows from one set of lights driving on the road, what exactly are you trying to prove?
Sounds like your buddy has been buying from DDM Tuning or the like. The HID bulbs should last for ~10 years in theory. If they're not firing reliably, that's the sign of a cheap ballast. No matter the application, if you buy poor quality, you'll pay for it in the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts