Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK HERE'S THE DEAL, GOING TO MIAMI IN FEBRUARY an i plan on taking the dog with me,, flying is out of the question, besides i would not want to put my baby in a crate for god knows how many hours and i can't imagine how he would be treated by the baggage handlers... so that being said has anyone of you taken your dog on a long trip ( 1500 miles ) Harley does good in the jeep, longest so far has been about 6 hours. i figure if i can find a place to play with him for 20 minutes i can tire him out and he will sleep for a long time,, any input is appreciated, thanks, stephan

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Casper made the trip here to Kentucky when we moved. It took us about 10 or 11 hours. Barrie and I just went back down there in June and took him with us. We made sure to stop every couple of hours to let him out and do his doggie things. He was in a wire crate in the back of my truck. We had taped a tarp over the crate to give him some shade.

As long as you stop often to let Harley out to move around a bit, he should be fine.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tina i should mentioned that i tend to knock out a big chunk of driving on my first day,, i usually do an 17-18 hour first day of driving,,, i plan on getting to the GA - fla state lines..... then miami will be a walk in the park

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
We went to Hinesville which is only about 45 minutes from the Fl line. A little over 600 miles for us from here. And he will probably do better than Casper did. The heat got to him when we came back the next day. Your trip will probably take you a little longer for doggie walks. But since he will be inside the Jeep, you shouldn't have to stop as often as we did. Does he do okay with going for long spells in the house without having to go out?

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes tina, he does awesome,,, he can go 8-10 hours without going out,,, once i tire him out in the AM he's good the rest of the day... as of right now with work and all my wife takes him out at 6am and he can ''wait'' till i get in at 3:15.... but i do have my sister coming over mid-day,, her daughter loves to play with Harley,,, other wise i know he could go the entire day,,, we have gone out for 10 hours at a time and he has been fine

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Then you shouldn't have any problems with him. Is he pretty calm riding? Doesn't spaz out and bark crazily at stuff that goes by?
The only reason we had issues with Casper is because he was in the bed of the truck and the temps were up enough that he would get hot back there.When we got ready to make the trip home, we left a little later in the day so it would be a little cooler for him.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol he only barks at black people wearing hats,,,, i kid you not.. other than that he's awesome in the jeep or car.. my other worry is he likes to bark at passers byes,,, you know people that walk by the house...not sure what i could do about that in a hotel,,, thats why im thinking camping cabin,,,,, KOA miami. good rates 70 bucks a night and that includes the pet fee.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
lol he only barks at black people wearing hats,,,, i kid you not.. other than that he's awesome in the jeep or car.. my other worry is he likes to bark at passers byes,,, you know people that walk by the house...not sure what i could do about that in a hotel,,, thats why im thinking camping cabin,,,,, KOA miami. good rates 70 bucks a night and that includes the pet fee.
That's not a bad rate. Casper is so mellow he never barks except at buzzards and when we ask him to. I often wish he would bark when someone came to the door. I think the po used a shock collar on him to prevent him from barking. Took me forever to get him to learn how to speak. Prior to that I don't think I ever heard him bark much.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if i tell Harley to ''get it'' forget it,,, he goes into crazy bat sh!t dog mode... he almost went through the storm door window... lesson learned.

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
if i tell Harley to ''get it'' forget it,,, he goes into crazy bat sh!t dog mode... he almost went through the storm door window... lesson learned.
Mine thinks get it means food. He is overly obsessed with food. But then he was starving when I found him so I guess he has good reason.
He will kill and eat bees or wasps. And he killed a couple of mice in the garage. He just loves people. I think the only way he would ever bite anyone is if they tried to hurt me or Jess.

·
Registered
979 Posts
One of my old dogs watered more trees in more states than most people will ever visit. That dog loved traveling in cars, trucks and motorhomes. Best trip he had was a 9000 mile 3 week road trip in the dead of winter the only thing he didn't like was riding on a snowmobile with me when I got a bit carried away.
Made a good sleeping back warmer at minus 40 also.
In February Miami is generally not to hot so the trip should be ok for the dog.
As long as he doesn't go nuts in the car it should be ok

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the input ... i think he will be ok

·
8,091 Posts
GM google nj dog laws. In a car dogs have to be harnessed or it's 250 bucks. Just saying only state in the nation where the fine for a dog not buckled is more than you not buckled.

·
HIGHWAY APPROVED MUSTANG
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GM google nj dog laws. In a car dogs have to be harnessed or it's 250 bucks. Just saying only state in the nation where the fine for a dog not buckled is more than you not buckled.
saw that on the news a while back,,, not to worry, he has a tether

·
Jeep flyer
4,746 Posts
jeepsr4grls said:
Mine thinks get it means food. He is overly obsessed with food. But then he was starving when I found him so I guess he has good reason.
He will kill and eat bees or wasps. And he killed a couple of mice in the garage. He just loves people. I think the only way he would ever bite anyone is if they tried to hurt me or Jess.
He doesn't like frogs though . Lol

So I can still pick on Barrie :D

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Mine used to go everywhere with me, a little less now though. She will just lay down in the back seat until we get to where we were going or was hungry or had to potty. Shes likes the riding though usually gets front seat in the Jeep

1 - 16 of 16 Posts