Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O it all started a few years back when a u joint strap broke and my d shaft spun around and broke the exstension housing off the t-case. So that's when the jeep sat for 3 years, then I inherited it with those problems. I bought a new housing and seal for it and fixed the problem, ever since them I've been replacing that seal left and right I'm not sure why. Any takers on this problem? The housing seams to fit rite but when I put the seal on there It doesn't want to slide easily I have to use a mallet to get the drive shaft in properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I bet you bent you shaft inside the Tcase so it is slightly off and wearing them out quick. Do you have any vibrations? Either that or maybe a bent driveshaft from slapping around or a bad bearing inside the Tcase.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet you bent you shaft inside the Tcase so it is slightly off and wearing them out quick. Do you have any vibrations? Either that or maybe a bent driveshaft from slapping around or a bad bearing inside the Tcase.
The vibrations went away when I changed my u joint, but it's back and I think my u joint is already worn out. If its bent would it be tough to put the d shaft back in when I take it out?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Probably not, it wouldn't be bent that bad. Also you shouldn't be going through Ujoints. How long did it last you?

I am off to dinner so you probably won't get an answer out of me for a couple hours.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably not, it wouldn't be bent that bad. Also you shouldn't be going through Ujoints. How long did it last you?

I am off to dinner so you probably won't get an answer out of me for a couple hours.
It lasted about a week give or take a couple days.
You have any ideas why it's so tough after I put the seal in ?

·
Registered
979 Posts
The yoke should slide fairly easily into the bushing that's inside the extension housing. I guess to check to see if the output shaft is bend you could put the trans in first with the wheels of the ground I.E both axles on jack stands and the wheels atleast 1" of the ground. Then start it and let it idle in gear and watch to see if the driveshaft spins true, or if it wobbles. If it wobbles take the rear drive shaft out then try without the driveshaft and see if the output shaft wobbles around.
You sure both U joints in the rear driveshaft move freely? If either one is tight and hard to move it will do this kind of stuff also

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The yoke should slide fairly easily into the bushing that's inside the extension housing. I guess to check to see if the output shaft is bend you could put the trans in first with the wheels of the ground I.E both axles on jack stands and the wheels atleast 1" of the ground. Then start it and let it idle in gear and watch to see if the driveshaft spins true, or if it wobbles. If it wobbles take the rear drive shaft out then try without the driveshaft and see if the output shaft wobbles around.
You sure both U joints in the rear driveshaft move freely? If either one is tight and hard to move it will do this kind of stuff also
Will be doing that this weekend
As for the u joints there not tight at all

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Let me know what you come up with, I have a few spare parts lying around I can ship to you if you find the issue.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I also have another tail cone if that is the problem.
Time to install an SYE eh?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I think I have a couple rear drive shafts too.
Replacing the output shaft is not hard at all. You need to split the case tho'.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i locked in a brand new in the box SYE today on craigslist for pretty cheap. Going to pick it up today so do any of you guys have a cv style d shaft laying around for a reasonable sell price?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you do this with out having a welder? And can you go into more detail in that aswell sounds WAY CHEAPER than buying one... How's the vibrations?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I get a slight vibration at about 65 but mine is un balanced.

You would need a welder for this. Just cut to length sleeve with chrome Molly and weld back together.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Sleeving just strengthens where you cut it to shorten it. It has a slip in already and the double u joint that you want.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts