Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting small drips of Auto-Transmission fluid on the garage floor? You can see the drops on the bottom of the transfer case. I put my finger below the fill plug and it had some fluid below it. I checked it and it was tight. When I pulled the plug a bunch of oil came out? I stopped by my mechanic today and he said the fluid could be coming back from the transmission. Bad seals or worn shaft? The transmission fluid was on the minimum mark or a little below. Earlier this year we changed the fluid a put in new reline oil. Worn shaft or seals between the transfer case and transmission?

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I guess it's "possible", but it has to go through two seals. One on the back of the trans and one on the front of the t-case.
Re-fill the trans and pull the top fill plug on the t-case and let the fluid in it drain to the proper level. Put the plug back in and wipe everything down well.
Drive is for a couple days and check the tranny fluid. If it is low the mechanic is correct.
Replacing the seals is a fairly easy job once you have the t-case pulled out. Worn shafts is another story.
The t-case is two pieces and they are gasketed by RTV usually. Could be leaking there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts