Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone guide me in the right direction for changing my five speed Trans for an automatic? I had a stroke in 07 and can't drive a stick any more. It is an 88 jeep wrangler four wheeler (only off road once) I love to drive it but can't... would love to convert it to Auto. .....(6 cylinder) Just a wrangler nothing special, live in Los Angele's area, looking for someone local.....

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Nice thing is with the '88 there is no computer to deal with. It's not too difficult but having a shop do it can be expensive.
Many people go find a mid nineties Chevy S10 4X4 and swap in the drive train to get the auto. The steering column in the Jeep is the exact same one, the brake pedal assembly is the same, and you get a great motor and trans with the 4.3 liter and 700R4.
Putting a Jeep trans in would be cheaper and easier tho'. You'll need a flexplate instead of a flywheel, a way to shift (floor shifter would work), and a radiator with the cooling lines on it or a remote trans cooler (cheapest way).
Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks it does / are you local to LA, or do you know people in the Los Angeles area?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
No I live on the northern edge of San Diego County in Riverside County.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts