Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and I apologize if this has been asked. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler SE soft top that I want to tow behind a motor home. The exterior of the front bumper doesn't seem strong enough to handle the weight of the vehicle but there is a very solid feeling cylinder or "pipe shaped" bumper under the exterior bumper. Has anyone tried to drill into that interior bumper in order to attach a towbar? Is it bumper strong enough to hold the vehicle weight for towing? (I know I can buy custom baseplates for 400.00 but that is more than I had hoped to spend.)

Thanks!
Moondoggie

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Many of us have used Harbor Frieght tow bars that bolt to the bumper for years without any issue. I don't think you will have any issue. If you do use one that bolts on like that make sure you try to get it as close to the bumper mounting bolts as possible.

I have drilled into my cross member (the round tube under the bumper) and have not had any issues so if you did that I don't see where it would hurt either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.