Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I do now but in 07 I didn't have my own trailer. I also used to have this 86 chevy 3/4 ton 2wd that I used to tow with. I was flat towing to Evens creek once to do some jeepin one day and it was snowing pretty good and I was almost to the parking area so I was going really slow. I go to turn in and bearley touched the breaks when the jeep decided it didn't want to turn or slow down. I jack knifed and hit the bed of the truck pretty good with the jeep. That was the last time I flat towed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Let me rephrase: my transmission is automatic,,,,and 4wd.... soooooooo... and

I really didn't want to buy a trailer to tow her on.....but also,, am thinking of the tires....if towing it on a trailer will involved even more tires,,, it's kinds moot...don't ya think?

guess I'm just thinking out loud.

thanks for all the input.

JAG

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You can easily tow your Jeep, transmission in park, transfer case in neutral, behind your motorhome. I do it all the time.
As far as tire wear, obviously when the tires are on the ground and turning they are wearing. The fronts will wear just a little bit faster then the rears because they are being forced to turn when the motorhome turns. So rotate your tires once in a while. But the extra is negligible.
HERE'S where the problem lies with flat towing..... You cannot back up. If you do, the Jeep will get all crossed up and not cooperate. You have to pay attention to that fact when you pull into someplace. You need to be able to go forward only.
This is where a trailer is better. You can back up with a trailer easily.
Do you have a rear view camera on your motorhome?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I do now but in 07 I didn't have my own trailer. I also used to have this 86 chevy 3/4 ton 2wd that I used to tow with. I was flat towing to Evens creek once to do some jeepin one day and it was snowing pretty good and I was almost to the parking area so I was going really slow. I go to turn in and bearley touched the breaks when the jeep decided it didn't want to turn or slow down. I jack knifed and hit the bed of the truck pretty good with the jeep. That was the last time I flat towed.
Had the same thing happen with less grief though coming down a steep twisty mountain road the Jeep pushed the back and of my truck around, hitting the gas resolved it. There are three fixes for that, the fancy smancy brake controller setup for flat towing costs close to 1000 bucks, a tow dolly with electric brakes or a trailer with electric brakes, in the end the latter two are the better choice

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Yeah I was too committed to the turn to hit the gas and was hoping to not hit a large ditch.

After that I used my dads trailer for a few years since he didn't need it. Then he got board and fixed his jeep. Last year I finially broke down and picked an awesome shaped 02 C&B 18' 10K and LOVE it. Especially comming from a 13' deck. I'll never go back

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
The main reason for having the manual transmission in gear or the auto tranny in park is that you do not want to turn the out put shaft of the transmission.
When you leave the transmission in neutral and the transfercase in neutral it will still spin the output shaft of the transmission but when it turns that way it will not lubricate either the manual or auto transmission and on a long tow it will destroy the transmission. So transmission in gear or auto in park, transfer case in neutral, the transfercase has an oil pump in it that is driven by the output shaft of the transfercase, so when the rear wheels turn it lubricates the transfercase and keeps it happy
Why won't a manual get lubrication? Is there an actual pump in them?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Why won't a manual get lubrication? Is there an actual pump in them?
When the engine drives the manual transmission the gears will turn and splash oil to lubricate it. When its in neutral and the driveshaft turns the output shaft of the transmission that is all that turns in the transmission, no gears turning so no oil splashing hence it will get hot and eventually some of the gears will weld to the output shaft. That is the reason why it gets towed with the trans in gear

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
When the engine drives the manual transmission the gears will turn and splash oil to lubricate it. When its in neutral and the driveshaft turns the output shaft of the transmission that is all that turns in the transmission, no gears turning so no oil splashing hence it will get hot and eventually some of the gears will weld to the output shaft. That is the reason why it gets towed with the trans in gear
Oh, yeah, that's right. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
We tow our 04 TJ 4 down, and the owner's manual says to put the transmission in 1st gear and the transfer case in neutral. Never heard of putting it in 5th gear before...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts