Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to tow my jeep w/ my motorhome? I haven't got one yet,,, but plan to in the future. The jeep is a '09 wrangler X. C

Can I tow it w/o a trailer... Please say yes! ? thanks for the input....

Jan:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I used a Harbor freight tow bar and their magnetic lights. On my YJ transfer case in Neutral and manual in 5th key in ignition to unlock the steering.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I flat tow mine behind my motorhome.
The t-case goes in neutral but the fluids will still turn your trans. Putting it in gear prevents this.
If you have a selectable locker in the front, make sure it's disengaged.
If you have a lunchbox locker, especially with an automatic transmission, on a YJ or CJ, you need to do a true neutral plate modification.
But flat towing is safe to do. Make sure your tow bar is level, and your safety chains are strong and mounted low.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
You just asked 2 different questions.

Are you looking for the best way? (=Trailer)

or if you can use a tow bar? (=Yes everyone else has good advice about that)

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
So if the transfercase is in neutral, is it safe to tow all Jeeps, even the rubicon series? And why was the transmission left in gear not also neutral, is there a particular reason to choose 5th gear?
Tranny is left in gear to keep the tranny fluid pumping, 5th is because its the gear of least resistance.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
It can't. When you put the t-casse in neutral, the large shift fork moves the gear away from the drive chain. The small shift fork disengages the input shaft so it is no longer connected to the trans.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Think about it this way...
If you left the tranny in gear to keep the fluids moving, it would be turning the engine also.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
The trans is also left in 5th gear incase of things accidently engaging somehow it will not over rev your motor or lock up your tires while in tow.

Also TJ's and newer came factory with a true neutral plate so they will not need to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I thought I read that on another forum somewhere about the pump, I could be wrong though, it happened 1 time before. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
The thing about the pump is that it is not pumping in the auto trans if you put the tranny in neutral and leave the tcase in gear. You could possibly burn things up.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The trans is also left in 5th gear incase of things accidently engaging somehow it will not over rev your motor or lock up your tires while in tow.

Also TJ's and newer came factory with a true neutral plate so they will not need to upgrade.
The main reason for having the manual transmission in gear or the auto tranny in park is that you do not want to turn the out put shaft of the transmission.
When you leave the transmission in neutral and the transfercase in neutral it will still spin the output shaft of the transmission but when it turns that way it will not lubricate either the manual or auto transmission and on a long tow it will destroy the transmission. So transmission in gear or auto in park, transfer case in neutral, the transfercase has an oil pump in it that is driven by the output shaft of the transfercase, so when the rear wheels turn it lubricates the transfercase and keeps it happy

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Is there a way this could maybe be made a permanent thread. It seems like nice advice, and most new to Jeep chaps, like myself would assume to put it all in neautral. I called a friend tonight and told him this, as I know he tows his Wrangler Unlimited Sahara with both sticks in neutral. As for me, I was planning to do so to, as that is what I heard was correct. While not for a few years,, we plan to take a trip in 3 summers from now, and tow the Jeep, behind the Motorhome, and cover 20,000 + kilometers.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
The main reason for having the manual transmission in gear or the auto tranny in park is that you do not want to turn the out put shaft of the transmission.
When you leave the transmission in neutral and the transfercase in neutral it will still spin the output shaft of the transmission but when it turns that way it will not lubricate either the manual or auto transmission and on a long tow it will destroy the transmission. So transmission in gear or auto in park, transfer case in neutral, the transfercase has an oil pump in it that is driven by the output shaft of the transfercase, so when the rear wheels turn it lubricates the transfercase and keeps it happy
Correct.
In addition I'll add, with the CJ and YJ the front axle is still engaged inside the transfer case when the transfer case is in neutral. In other words, if you jacked all four wheels off the ground and put the t-case in neutral, and then turned the rear wheels, even in neutral the two drive shafts are still connected. The only time they are not connected is in 2WD. Again, this is just the CJ and YJ.
This is only an issue if you have a front lunchbox locker like an Aussie Locker. The turning front drive shaft being driven by the rear drive shaft will engage the locker and cause the vehicle to weave side to side. It also causes uneven tire wear in the front even without a locker because the spider gears are being pushed by the rear drive shaft.
They solved this problem in the TJ and newer by putting a dip in the mode selector plate that disengages the front drive shaft when the t-case is placed in neutral.
The mode selector plate in the TJ and YJ are identical except for the dip. You can purchase another plate for $29 and install it inside your t-case. Then you have what's called 'true neutral' like the TJs and JKs have.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
You are just full of useful information.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
This is what I read somewhere else, except it makes more sense when you actually read it haha. I have only flat towed a couple times so I just skimmed what I needed to do as to not destroy anything.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I thought you trailered your rig.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts