Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

TJ rear bumper build

27K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  just4fun 
#1 ·
I started building a rear bumper the other day and figured I would do a build along so here goes.

First off I went to the metal yard and bought the material.

2' of 2 1/2"x1/4" wall square tube. $12.14
6' of 2"x4" x1/4" wall tube. $41.57
6' of 1"x1/4" wall tube. $10.38
4' of 1/4" thick angle Iron and 3' of chanell @0.40 cents per lb. for a total of $5.60 I wish I could get it all in scrap!

Total so far is $76.57 including tax.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Then I cut a triangle section out of each end, and clamped and welded buth sides with my trusty Hobart TigMate.Then did some grinding to smooth the welds.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
After welding and grinding the ends smooth the ends were uneven so I squared them up with my chop saw. The total width of the bumper ended up being 53" after I squared the ends.

Attachments

#7 ·
I got the receiver made and welded in today. I ended up having to grind the seem on the inside of the 2 1/2" square tube for the hitch insert to slide in properly but it wasnt that big of a deal it took about 5 minutes to make it work. I cut the hold all the way through the 2x4 tube so the receiver will go all the way through the bumper and I squared it up and welded it on both sides.

Attachments

#11 ·
Got the bumper brackets made and welded on. Also installed it and test fit my trailer on it then spray bombed it black. I still have to make clevises and weldem on and cap the ends but it is on and I can use it. I will linex it when I 'm done withit.

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is one of the bumper brackets before I installed it I forgot to take pics as I was working this morning but I bolted the brackets on the jeep then put the bumper on jack stands and got it where I wanted it then tacked it. Then I removed the bumper for final welding.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
No problem just4fun bringem on does your spare tire arm interfere with opening your tailgate ? How wide is your bumper? I plan on adding the frame brackets as well because I tow with my jeep I'm also gonna add clevises and light to it and cap off the ends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.