Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months ago, I had the stealership replace the axle shaft u-joints on my 2003 TJ Rubicon. Ever since then, I have notice some gear lube leaking from the driver-side front axle. I took my Jeep back and the service manager told me that it was just a little over filled and was nothing to worry about.

It's been about four months and the thing still drips. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
Several months ago, I had the stealership replace the axle shaft u-joints on my 2003 TJ Rubicon. Ever since then, I have notice some gear lube leaking from the driver-side front axle. I took my Jeep back and the service manager told me that it was just a little over filled and was nothing to worry about.

It's been about four months and the thing still drips. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:
Pull the plug and see if it IS overfilled. If not, take it back. With that info, you are armed with the facts and they cannot deny you again. At least ETHICALLY, they can't...

·
17 Posts
Wow... sounds like they ripped the inner axle tube seal when they reinstalled the axles...super cheap fix, just a major PITA. Literally, the entire axle has to be disassembled to get at the seals.

·
17 Posts
I looked at those when I was replacing the seals on mine. It occurred to me though, that they would indeed keep the diff oil in the axle. However, if the oil from the diff goes into the axle tube a couple of things will happen. First you will decrease the level of fluid in the diff to the point that you will have to refill the diff and both axle tubes. This in itself isn't a real big deal, but now you have fluid circulating around thru the axle....go out and look into the front axle tubes of your jeep. Do you really want all that coming loose and circulating thru your ring and pinion and whatever locker you have installed?
IMO, if you are gonna go to the trouble of pulling the axles, you may as well do it right. The r/p or locker isn't that difficult to get out. Just remember, it must go back in EXACTLY as it came out!

·
Registered
13 Posts
they also help prevent mud and other crap from going into the axle which will help prevent the inner seals from going bad..

I looked at those when I was replacing the seals on mine. It occurred to me though, that they would indeed keep the diff oil in the axle. However, if the oil from the diff goes into the axle tube a couple of things will happen. First you will decrease the level of fluid in the diff to the point that you will have to refill the diff and both axle tubes. This in itself isn't a real big deal, but now you have fluid circulating around thru the axle....go out and look into the front axle tubes of your jeep. Do you really want all that coming loose and circulating thru your ring and pinion and whatever locker you have installed?
IMO, if you are gonna go to the trouble of pulling the axles, you may as well do it right. The r/p or locker isn't that difficult to get out. Just remember, it must go back in EXACTLY as it came out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts