Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am installing new krawler t/a KX 35-13.5-15 on trail ready steel beadlocks with aluminum rings. my question is what are my options for balancing them. i would like to stay away from lead weigths, My tj isnt a daily driver but i would still like to drive it instead of trailing it to local events. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
On my 36X13.5X17 bias Iroks on TrailReady aluminum bead locks I use 2000 airsoft BB's in each tire. It works really good.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Even in large tires on motorhome/trucks they use airsoft and regular BBs now.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
The problem with regular BB's though is they can eat the rubber away from the inside

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
The copper ones or the stainless steal ones or the zinc coated ones or all of the above?
I haven't heard that? Is it from friction or a chemical reaction?

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Copper ones is what I've seen but I have herd any of them will. They are also good for "sand blasting" your painted rims also.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I eard the problem with the steel ones is rust...

Edited for accuracy....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i have heard of using airsoft BBs but how many per tire and they weight goes from .20g up to .43g. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I cant remember off hand, I just put a bottle of 2000 in each tire. It worked for me.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I stole this from Pirate4X4...........

I had some people asking questions about my tire balancing preference, so I thought I would make an informed post that does all the legwork for all you lazy fockers.

They have .12, .20, .25, .35, all the way up to .88 grams in 6mm and 8mm sizes. The 6mm 0.12 and 0.20 pellets are the most common and easy to find in most outdoor stores. I picked mine up at Gart Sports for around $20. GI Joes also had them locally.

To figure out how much you need, use the chart from Equal (hey, they do have something good). Go Here for a PDF version.

Then get a conversion from ounce to gram or vice versa. Here's a good conversion calculator.

Then just do some math for about how many you need. Here's an example:

I have 37 Boggers and the chart says I should use 6-8 ounces for a 37x12.50 mudder tire. Using the calculator tells me that 7 ounces is about 200 grams. I used the 0.20gram airsoft pellets. That works out to 200/0.20=1000 pellets per tire.

I like to err on the heavy side because not enough will net an unbalanced tire and too many will just distribute the extra pellets evenly around the tire. So I actually bought a 5000 pack along with a 1000 pack. Drink down that beer in the pint glass and get 3 more. Drink those down, then you'll be good and ready to continue. Now dump the pellets evenly across all 4 glasses. It's not rocket science, so just eyeball it.

I used Oasis Tyre Pliers and their Deluxe Irons to mount/dismount each tire. I was already doing a wheel change to match the new one ton axles, so I had to do much more labor than someone wanting to just balance their rubber. Even still the Tyre Pliers will make life so much easier to pop the bead loose. Then you'll be able to dump a glass of pellets into each tire.

I've already used the above mention Equal. Don't bother. I'm sure they've got some happy customers, but for the most part those are applications that don't air up and down often (which is what adds moisture and kills Equal). I then went with BB's. That worked alright but when I opened up the tire the copper had become dust and the lead BB's I'm sure were also not good for a person. Now I'm onto the Airsoft pellets and think this will be a good solution.

I hope this helps. Let the arguments ensue.
Travis
One of the later commments in the thread mentioned using higher quality pellets as the cheap ones may break up.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Quick note, Make sure the inside of your tires are clean before using dynamic balancing media (airsoft bbs and such). What i thought was a vibration from too much weight was actually the result of a layer of grease gluing the bbs to the tire...

Also, the chart i looked at said to use 10 oz in my tires. I used about 3 times that and it didnt look like it was too much. My buddy used the recommended 6oz in his 215/85-16 tires and it worked great.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
A tire shop guy told me that the bigger the tire the more likely they are to use an in tire balancing media.
Using them in large off road tires kinda' makes sense too because rocks will knock the lead weights off when you scrape the wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still stuck at work but i have everything waiting at my house to mount my tires, i am going to use 6-8 oz. of softair BB in each tire, as soon as i get home and mount then i will post the results. thanks to all the help.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks guys for this information. I'm buying tires soon and this is information I will use. Now I just have to learn how to unmount and mount a tire DIY style. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts