Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
43 Posts
Welcome to Jeep YJ's. You didn't mention which motor you have. I have the 4.0L motor but for the sake of eliminating the racket you hear, this should suffice. It sounds like a Diesel right........!? It is often..... most often the lifters. The Jeep motors have a propensity to make 'sludge' inside the motors, and in turn the lifters become kind of varnishes/sludged up and don't fully pump up. They are hydraulic on a 95, just the same as mine. What happens essentially is that the bore inside the lifter gets crudded and the spring inside the lifter doesn't fully push the pushrod face up fully or allow the lifter to fully fill with oil, thuss you have bigger tolerances at the pushrods and rockers. The rockers is what your hearing clacking.

There are so many posts by New Jeep owners on this particular subject, on all the forums out there. It's almost the standard introduction to living with a JEEP. lol....
As for a remedy......... I put a half quart of ATF in my oil when the level had dropped enough to warrant the addition of oil. Otherwise you would want to remove a half to a full quart from the crankcase. You then run the ATF for several hundred miles. It is a high detergent oil and will over a short time clean out the interior of your motor of the said sludge dissolving it into suspension in the oil. Think about that now..... the 'dirty crud' suspended in your oil and flowing through the filter than on to the bearings. The expediant thing to do would be to change the filter when you add the ATF to pre-trap the contanimants before they flow as lubricant through the bearings and oiling the insides of the motor and components.

Then a full oil and filter change would be necessary once you have ran the ATF a while. In all honesty, I'v ran my motor for a couple weeks on the ATF solution and covered about possibly 2-300 miles. It was then prudent to change the oil. I added Mobil 1 and a partial quart of Rislone 'Zinc' treatment along with a new filter.
This has DRAMATICALLY reduced the Diesel like clicking on a scale of 1-10, the noise is down to a 2 or 3, and it used to be at '10', it really did fool you into thinking it was a diesel at first.
The Synthetic will continue removing and preventing the sludge build-up and continue cleaning your motor through out it's life until the next oil change. As the crud is dissolved in the lifters, they will quiet down dramatically and have a full range of motion internally, thus taking up the loose tolerances at the noisy rocker arms.
Marvel Mystery oil is advised as well. Others will tell you of the same sounds, or 'like' sounds because of a cracked exhaust manifold. This could be true, and if so, as the manifold heated and the crack expanded and closed, the sound would diminish by virtue of the crack closing shut. So when diagnosing the 'click sounds' it would be on the list of possibilities, but unless it's a high-miler, I'd be inclined to think it somewhat less likely to be the cause. SO, try the ATF or MMO solutions for several hundred miles, and then do an oil and filter change and I'll bet you see and experience a whole world of difference.

·
43 Posts
Just a heads up..... the next likely problem will be a Master/clutch slave going out. Bleeding is near impossible and a new factory bled system in order. @ about a buck and a half. You may find cheaper, but go with a 'Dorman' brand, usually $125 to $160ish.
Happy Jeeping......... You got'a pay if you wan'a play. But it's mostly minor stuff, you'll see over time.

·
43 Posts
Try to get back with us here and let us know the outcome. It will take some time, but you should notice a quieter difference in a day or so of driving, you know, a hundred or two miles with the noise slowly diminishing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great post Gohot,...I've got a tick,more of a knock at the lower end. Goes away after warmup.
Sorry if I got a bit off topic.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Great post Gohot,...I've got a tick,more of a knock at the lower end. Goes away after warmup.
Sorry if I got a bit off topic.
Sounds like main bearings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts