Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy of mine says that you can flip your Leafs over your Axles to gain some clearance. I'm not to keen on the idea, I think it would put extra stress on my axles and eventually cause some issues. Plus this is my DD and I don't want it to run any rougher than it already does with 33" MR/T's. What do yall think?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
It's called an SOA (Spring over axle) and if done right is nice but many try to cut corners and it doesn't work out so well. It will end up cost much more then a standard lift with a lot more work but I personally like it. I did my jeep but am still working out all the kinks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris, I've read a lot of technical aspects but I wanted to hear how people like it. Does it hurt the axles and how it affects the drive. I've got a 3" lift already do its not a necessary thing especially if there are pitfalls to it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It gives a lot of lift with stock springs works well in the front when you work the steering kinks out in the rear it has a habit of causing spring wrap and then you have to built a anti wrap bar to keep that under control. What tha means is that the pinion will climb up ie the axle start rolling up wrapping/ deforming the springs under acceleration. Not really terrible on the street but causes tire hopping when climbing and what not

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
It will NOT hurt the axles in any way at all. The weight is still going to be in the same location as it would be if it were underneath of them. However, I would not suggest SOA on a D35, regardless of what has been done to it. An 8.8 is a much better option and is stronger than the D35 in every way.

Lots of work to be done, and lots of people do it. Don't take shortcuts, do everything out in full. Plan it out too, it's not something that can be done in an afternoon...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Xpress, that's really what I wanted to know. I will definitely take the time and plan ahead.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
As mentioned, spring/axle wrap and steering setups are the only real things to deal with. The D35 is delicate like Xpress said, but if it's a budget thing you can use it until you can get an 8.8 or D44. Just don't go with too tall of a tire. 33's at most. Even then, take it easy. If it hops, stop. The dana 35 spiders and axles are weak.
Expect to spend about $1500 to do it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts