Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering selling my 04 X for a new 2013 Sport and need some advice. There is an option to choose a 3.73 axle ratio over the standard 3.21 ratio for an additional $95.00, I feel this is worth the money, any a thoughts?

Second is the the anti-spin rear axle option for an additional $295.00. This seems a bit steep but is it worth getting it from the factory?

The other options I'm considering are the S Package, the hard top (because I'm considering the BesTop Trek NX as my soft top option), the Connectivity Group (for the hands free phone use while driving), and Convience Group (mainly for the power locks because i'm lazy and won't have to walk around to unlock the door for my wife). Any other must have options?

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Yes to the diff ratio and locks, forget the phone junk, drive the jeep, make phone calls at home from your hot tub after done wheeling. Power locks are handy, but if you can turn a key not really needed, I bet you use a key at home to unlock your house, has it ever caused you to pull a muscle, or throw your back out, twisting a key in a lock.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
If you buy a Rubi you get 4.10's , lockers, and more. Skip the automatic, save the money and buy a manual transmission, which is vastly superior anyways. I test drove both, and to buy an awfulamtic, they would have had to taken 99% of the price of the jeep, then I might have considered it. I would have taken it to a shop, had it converted to a manual, and pocketed the cash left over.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
A lot has to do with what you plan to do with the Jeep.
Do you plan to keep it a pavement princess or are you going to wheel it?
How hard do you intend to wheel it if you do?
Is it your daily driver or a weekend toy?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Do people really buy a Jeep to stay on the pavement? A Porsche is for the pavement, a Jeep is for when the pavement ends in my opinion.
Yep. I see them every day. Tons of money in shiny mods and big tires and they never see more off road than the driveway into the mall parking lot.

Keep the 04 TJ and mod it up. Then no new payment as well. IMO anyways.....
Good call.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions! This will not be a daily driver, the main purpose will be a tow vehicle for our Motorhome, so there is the possibility of some wheeling depending on what's available near where we camp! I don't need a Rubi, just think the Sport will do us just fine! I've become very used to the hands free in my other car, and it's very convenient. Plus, the 13 Model Connectivity Group is supposed to come with the upgraded TPMS that actually displays tire pressure. The Convenience Group is mail because I'm lazy! There won't be payments, it will be a cash deal, selling both the Jeep and my daily driver to get the new JK, so we do want to keep a few creature comforts!

·
Registered
16 Posts
RikRotorhead said:
Yep. I see them every day. Tons of money in shiny mods and big tires and they never see more off road than the driveway into the mall parking lot.

Good call.
I agree!! They have so much "stuff" on their vehicles it's too much I thought it was a hummer...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we traded the 04 TJ X for a 2012 JK Sport. The TJ had developed an intermittent electrical problem no one seemed able to find, and I took a $2K loss trading over selling out right, but didn't want to sell a problem to anyone. A dealership is better equiped to diagnosis and fix the problem than I was. I felt we got a good deal on the JK though. Went with a Base model, the only options were the Connectivity Group for the Bluetooth and the Trailer Tow Package. I've already picked up a set of 17" "S" Package tires and wheels off Craig's list, and those will go on this coming weekend after I have the TPMS swapped from the 16" steelies to the 17" aluminum wheels. Going with a 23B over the 23S and getting a set of 5 tires and wheels for $400 off Craig's List, I feel we have the equivilant to a Sport S while saving about $1500 off the cost of the "S" Package. The MSRP was $24,910 and we paid $22,115, so I feel I probably recouped most of my loss...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do not get the 3.21 gears if u plan to go off road at all....I've had 4 jeeps. Number 4 was a '12 Sport. I just figured it had 3.73s like all cept the Rubicon which always were stock 4.10. Went to Colorado. After attempting to off road, realized the problem. Now have a '13 Rubicon on order with 4.10s. Who the hell puts 3.21s in a jeep?!? Oh I forgot, gotta cater to the mall crawlers.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do not get the 3.21 gears if u plan to go off road at all....I've had 4 jeeps. Number 4 was a '12 Sport. I just figured it had 3.73s like all cept the Rubicon which always were stock 4.10. Went to Colorado. After attempting to off road, realized the problem. Now have a '13 Rubicon on order with 4.10s. Who the hell puts 3.21s in a jeep?!? Oh I forgot, gotta cater to the mall crawlers.....
I forgot to mention that option, it did have the 3.73 gears, but I think the dealership was smart enough to releaize that if they ordered their stock with the Tow Package you really need the 3.73 gears! I didn't realize until after reading the manual, the towing capacity with 3.21 gears is only 1000 lbs, that double with the 3.73 gears!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wrangler 2013

Hi, I have a 2010 and I love it. I miss the straight six, but I hear the new motor in the 13 is faster so you're in good shop. Anything from the dealer that u can't put on yourself, is worth it. I stuck with the soft top and love it also. The new soft tops, with tinted windows are just as good as the hard top without the hassle of finding a place to store it or having to take it off. It's way heavier than your last hard top by the way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts