Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since very few people or websites cover anything on this axle I figured why not have what I found here.

This thread will be for any and all info on the undesirable driver side drop Dodge Dana 60 with the CAD system.

I run one in my Jeep and have done a lot of research on it and will share what I have found and if any of you guys have any info please post it up.

Remember this is info I mostly found on the web and some that I have actually used so if something is not 1005 accurate sorry.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
First off this axle is set up very similar to a YJ factory Dana 30 with that it has a CAD Vacuum system to engage 4wd with a two piece passenger side axle.

The carrier on these axles is a 32 spline and the outters are 33 spline.

Here is a short list of some of the differences between the Ford Dana 60

Ball Joint vs. King pin
Unit Bearing vs. wheel bearing
CAD- central axle disconnect
32 spline inners vs. more desired 35
Low pinion vs. high pinion
Inverted "Y" style stock steering vs. inverted "T"
Unit bearing vs. Lockout hubs

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finding lockers and axles for the 32 spline is nearly impossible and the CAD system is really not liked although I have never had an issue with or a few buddies who also run this axle.

You can get rid of the CAD system with the kit below or you can get rid of the CAD system and go to 35 spline to run an affordable locker and easily get parts by swapping to 35 spline axles and a 35 spline locker. there is a kit below and I will be posting other alternatives in the future that may save some cash.

Here is EMS's CAD delete system for the 32 spline shafts.

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_68&products_id=351

A good question
Can the 94 Dana 60 be made to use 35 spline shafts with just a 35 spline locker?

The general answer is yes, but you'll have to decide how you want to go about it. You can replace the passenger side tube & CAD completely with a solid tube, deal with the CAD housing, or find one of the last 2nd-gen D60's with no CAD at all. EMS offroad sells 35 spline shafts that will work with the CAD. Just need their inners, and regular 35 spline locker. Here is their kit.

http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_68&products_id=385

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
axle from the disconnect to the u-joint is 18.31"
axle from the disconnect to the carrier is 20.56"
drivers side is 18.59" for 30 spline
drivers side is 18.79" for 32 spline

A factory 35 spline axle for a 78-79 HPD60 front is 18.67" That might be a little to long to work? You may be able to grind a little off to get it to work?

The inner axle seals will also need to be changed.

The long side needs to be 38.87" total?

A longside from a '00 and newer F350 is listed as 38.59" with a 35 spline shaft.

So maybe there might be a junkyard way to upgrade to 35 spline inners!

Here are shaft diameters that I have found here and there but could be wrong?

a 30 spline is 1.31
32 spline is 1.37
33 spline is 1.41

Here is more axle info then you could ever need.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/82201912/18/Model-50-229

I am still working on gathering more info so if you have anything please post it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts