Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After wheeling a 92 XJ for 3 years my unibody had seen better days. I decided it was time to part ways with it and get something with a frame. A fellow club member was selling his old YJ so I picked that up as a replacement rig. The issue was it was built in the late 90s and needed a lot of updating and modification to my style of wheeling.

Starting point
Specs:
1992 YJ 2.5L 5 speed
170att power master alternator
Dana 30 superior axles, lock right locker, BDS rock guard and 4:10s
Ford 8.8 with Trac Lock welded, Solid diff cover and 4:10
NP231 with an AA SYE kit
JCR 1 ton UTK steering
5in BDS springs with 1 1/4 warrior shackles
Wheel base stretched to 96inchs or so
Longer travel shocks with custom rear shock mounts
Warn rock rails, front and rear bumpers
15x10 Pacer wheels with 33 13.5 Pitbull rockers
Zenon extended TJ style fenders
and some offroad lights

Getting her home

Rear shock tower and hi lift mount

Step 1 was changing out a broken window frame. now up to 3 different colors on her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up was losing the extended shackles as it made the rig too high for my taste. (I like them low with lots of flex) So i threw on a set of stock height boomerang style shackles and lowered her about an inch.

I decided I wanted something a little nicer to hold when I was shifting. So out went the stock knobs and in went a pair of pool cues

i had an issue with the steering box cracking the frame

Got that fixed a new chunk of 1/4 plate welded in took care of the problem. I've also pulled the wide and bent warn bumper

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next step was pulling the old beat to hell and back fenders and ugly Zenon TJ flairs off the front and installing a set of overline Metal Cloaks. I went with the metal cloaks over the others because of their free shipping sale and the fact they are the only ones with new inner fenders (mine were bent and abused)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then I sent the YJ to Zack at AtoZ fab in PA for front and rear cage additions along with a new front bumper.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next step was installing the first set of Metal Cloak Stretch full YJ corners on the rig in preparation for a major suspension drop. still working out what springs shocks and how its all going to work but looking to lower it at least 2.5 to 3 inches. from its current height

·
BPJOOP93
12 Posts
I have a question about the cage. where the bar comes down by the drivers foot well does it make it more difficult to get in and out? only asking because me being 6'4" i would need every inch of room i can get.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question about the cage. where the bar comes down by the drivers foot well does it make it more difficult to get in and out? only asking because me being 6'4" i would need every inch of room i can get.
I'm 6'3" and have no issues getting in and out. but my jeep is only really driven once or twice a month on the trails and on and off the trailer. So its not link I'm getting in and out of it everyday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided I really hated having the spare tire hanging off the rear bumper. So I took a stock TJ tailgate tire carrier and mounted it to the floor.

holds my 33 13.5 pitbull perfectly

After my last time wheeling I realized that the 15x10s weren't going to cut it. so out with the 90s fabulous pacers and in with the every body and their mother 15x8 soft 8s

but I couldn't be like all the cool kids at the mall so a call to Zach at AtoZ fixed dime a dozen issue, with a set of 32 bolt DIY beadlock rings

1 - 11 of 11 Posts