Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
43 Posts
Youtube.... There are a couple videos there. Find one for your year. They seem over complex in some of the videos, but if you watch it a couple times, it clicks in your mind and you understand it. To my way of thinking, probably the tailgate rail is most likely the most difficult part to drill and instal, but really I don't think as difficult as all that. None of it's any too hard to do. I think the difficult thing is in the 'Choosing' which top to buy, and of course the Bow system..... or even choosing the 'Bowless' type top. If you already have the bows, ( in your case, you suggest that you don't) most aftermarket tops will work with them, but not all. I believe 'Bestop' and 'Renegade' will use stock bows (factory bows). Soft doors, or half doors will be another consideration. If you have full doors, that is likely the best if you drive the street a lot. If you drive off road, then half doors or no doors are the ticket.
My choice....??? I guess it would likely be a Renegade top with proper bows, or maybe even 'Bowless'. The bowless type kind of looks odd at the rear though with the top secured to the rollbar, it looses the 'square' look and is sort of butched off. Still good, just different. Waterproof is the key. Windshield rail fit is important then door surround next. I'v only had my YJ for about 4 months now, but getting up to speed don't take long, as you'll by necessity discover. Just remember, if your scoring a used one, check out the seams and windows, and zippers. If new..... well thats the way to go if you can afford $ 6-700 bucks for bows and top.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.