Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do not know this "Budget Boost".
There was an edition of Wrangler 2009 called "Tornado". It had a 2" lift by just adding 2" spacers under
the spring coils. The experience was not so good because the travel of the suspension was not
increased. I changed it soon and got a true 2" lift with extended suspension travel with OME springs
and shocks.
So decide whether you just want the look of the lift, or you want to enhance offroading.
If it is only the look and you will stay on the road, then save money and go for something cheap.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
A spacer lift is more or less just for looks You will gain that extra inch or two of clearance which helps when wheeling and fit larger tires but you will not gain much of anything for travel. Still not a bad place to start.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I've always heard of spacers being called "budget" lifts. I personally would rather swap some JKU springs on my JK for same effect...

·
Registered
12 Posts
The travel upwards is limited by a bump stop so the tire can not hit.
When you have 2" larger tire diameter, it means the tire clearance
becomes 1" less (half diameter). With a 2" lift you gain additional 1" travel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Even if you dont plan on doing a lot of off road driving, I highly recommend the Old Man Emu line of products they are expensive but well worth it. You will gain an S ton of suspension travel with the swaybar unhooked (it will suprise you for such a small lift) and it will ride just as good if not better than stock if you use their shocks.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If and its a big IF I choose at some point to lift it, the primary goal is increased ground clearance, and fitting bigger tires, hence more clearance. To go over obstacles such as logs, dirt berms and such, or also water crossings, large mudholes, thru ditches, etc. We as a general rule do not wheel in boulder fields like many of you do. In fact best of luck to you even finding them nearby here to drive over. But mud, ditches, massive mudholes abound. Our group out a few years ago, when I still had my old jeep came to a river, the scouting shiwed no way to drive through it, so we built a large raft out of logs, and floated them 1 by 1 across it. My poor little stock Jeep was at a huge disadvantage on trips with the Jeep club, as it lacked ground clearance, lockers, and the like. That is why this time I went with a Rubicon, and want a winch to help drag it from the muck. . My last Jeep had been buried more than once too deep to allow the doors to open. And seeing a wake going out from the grill on water crossings, and it half floating, and skipping downstream with the current gave my stomach a bad feeling. :)
Hence the desire to be higher, but the super long travel as some of you need is not so critical. What I do not wish to do is destroy its road manners so much, that I no longer wish to take it on extended trips.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can fit 35s on your JK with the Rough Country 3.25" kit,or any other kit around that size. I know of a few running that kit, with 35s. With a long arm lift, your ride will be noticibly smoother, in your short wheelbased JK, on and offroad. You will have more flex than you'll ever need with your swaybar disconnected. The drawback on long arm kits though, is cost. If you're thinking to lift it, there is SO much out there now to choose from, don't go with a budget boost and longer shocks, if you think you should go bigger. Might as well wait and do what you want once, than do it two or three times; that gets costly as well. Also takes time from other mods or wheeling too ;)!! I would wheel it stock for a bit too, to get an idea of what it can do now, and then you'll figure out what you need for sure, later. And if you travel through lots of water, your electronic gizmo for your swaybar disonnect WILL fail at some point. If/when that happens, you can get a manual disconnect for it (similar to the Anti-Rock, turn a knob to disconnect/turn it back to reconnect, but it just replaces the electric part).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wanted some extra clearance and to get off the "stock" look so I installed the Zone Offroad 1.75" space lift kit, and I like it. I went ahead and spent the extra and got the longer shocks that they offer as an extra and it realy made it look better. Easily clears the new 31x10.5 BFG's now and I still drive it on the highway to work every day and it's not noticeably different. I did a 2-part write up on my blog - before and after install.

http://zombiejeep.wordpress.com/2012/04/20/shocking/
http://zombiejeep.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/shocking-ii/

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the spacers in mine for now too, and run 33"x10.5" TSL radials. I also have 2" longer ProComp shocks, that are a bit stiff, but I like them. I have been slowly gathering parts together for a 4" lift. For my spacer lift, shocks, tires/rims I have spent $400. For the 4" parts I have so far spent $60, and I a trackbar relocation bracket and TC drop (until I can get SYE & cv driveshaft for the rear.) I'll probably make the tc drop, and maybe the trackbar bracket, so I won't be out much $$ there either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts