Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I very desperate. I completely rounded the head of the upper bolt on the thermostat housing of my 92 Wrangler. The bottom bold came out easily but, the upper bolt wouldn't budge. I was able to move the housing from side to side but the bolt seems "welded" to the cylinder head. I'm thinking of trying to grind off the head of the bolt, remove the housing and attempting to twist the bolt shaft out. I may need penetrating oil or heat but, I've never done this before. Can anyone help whose done this job?
Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
PB Blaster (penetrating oil) and let it sit overnight and try it again tomorrow. You may need to also use bolt extractors, but it will come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PB Blaster (penetrating oil) and let it sit overnight and try it again tomorrow. You may need to also use bolt extractors, but it will come out.

The housing turns while the bolt does not. There's no way to get penetrating oil to the bolt threads behind the housing. But I'll give it a try. Did the extractor work?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
You spray and it will penetrate. The extractor will usually work all the time provided you use the correct size, and in conjunction with a penetrating oil.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Here is a pic of a bolt extractor. I bought a complete kit for ~$35 at Lowes
Chris, go buy a set of those in case I ever need to borrow them.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Lol @ Rick and Chris

I agree with the Penitrating oil and extractor..

I have done what you were planning but it is often much more work. If you rounded the head then usually a good set of vice grips on the shaft of the bolt will still slip and spin.

·
43 Posts
A good way with what you appear to have left is to get a bolt and weld it to the stud... the 'top of rounded bolt'. Two things will happen, you will have a good surface to wrench from, and the heat of welding will very likely break the bond of the electrolysis between the steel and aluminum you are encountering. When you weld the bolt to the stud, let it cool by itself, the longer its hot, the better. It will cool in about 5-10 minutes, enough to touch.

>>>>>>> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s4CQCw&usg=AFQjCNEN0LJApDBElbelW5oA3dOgv-Bpfw <<<<<<< Try this, a muffler shop can do it for 'cheap' or a friend with a 'Mig Welder'

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
A good way with what you appear to have left is to get a bolt and weld it to the stud... the 'top of rounded bolt'. Two things will happen, you will have a good surface to wrench from, and the heat of welding will very likely break the bond of the electrolysis between the steel and aluminum you are encountering. When you weld the bolt to the stud, let it cool by itself, the longer its hot, the better. It will cool in about 5-10 minutes, enough to touch.

>>>>>>> http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...s4CQCw&usg=AFQjCNEN0LJApDBElbelW5oA3dOgv-Bpfw <<<<<<< Try this, a muffler shop can do it for 'cheap' or a friend with a 'Mig Welder'

Only thing I would add is if your arch or mig (flux core) cover what you can so spatter doesn't put little pits in plastic or get on anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Removing Rounded Bolt from 92 Jeep Wrangler Thermostat Housing

Thanks to all who replied to my problem. Unfortunately, two days of penetrating oil and a set of Craftsmen Bolt Extractors wouldn't budge the bolt. The "easy" way never seems to work for me. I ultimately resorted to a hacksaw and hammer to remove the housing. Finding a replacement bolt was interesting, since Jeep no longer stocks it. Thank goodness for NAPA.
Again, I sincerely appreciate all your efforts.

Rick

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Just glad you got her all fixed up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts