Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, ive got a strange issue with my 99 tj, unfortunately only has a 4 cyl but i still love her!! Anyway, every once in a while when driving, my speedometer and rpm gauge drop to zero and the airbag light goes on?? Than after a while the airbag light goes off and the 2 gauges start working again. It doesnt happen all the time, but annoying when does?? Any ideas??

·
Registered
979 Posts
the problem is with the connector to the instrument cluster, there was a onte time service bulletin on this. You can try disconnecting the cluster and plugging it back in or use some electrical cleaner on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aw12345 said:
the problem is with the connector to the instrument cluster, there was a onte time service bulletin on this. You can try disconnecting the cluster and plugging it back in or use some electrical cleaner on it
Thanks, will def try that!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You are having that problem because your headlights are round.

Welcome to the site.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yeah Kaiser, Willys, and AMCs were, but then the Wrangler came along and they thought it best to use square ones because they are more efficient. People complained but they stuck with them until 1996. Then came the Wrangler mini-van. All the yuppies wanted one because they put the round headlights on them. They didn't care that they changed the two thousand year old tried and proven leaf spring suspension, and put mini curlers under there. The problems ensued. Many issues arose from the poor design and the madness rolled over into the plastic clad JK models. Meanwhile, the military realized the problems with coil springs and commissioned Jeep to build a military version with leaf springs for more dependability and strength, in addition to the greater payload/towing capacity.
True story. The end.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
You didn't read it close enough....

they changed the two thousand year old tried and proven leaf spring suspension,
.... and I meant to say "two hundred year old".

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Covered wagons, buck boards, etc... all had leaf springs. The new military version of the JK called the JB has leaf springs on the rear axle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, will def try that!
Ditto, I had the same problem on my old TJ. There was a TSB on it, but I cant find it. It's caused by corrosion buildup on the instrument cluster terminals.
If you remove your instrument cluster from the dash and clean the terminals where it plugs, and even coat them with Di-electric grease should fix the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts