Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put better speakers in my rear rollbar as one is buzzing. Not sure what speaker will fit. Anyone ever changed theirs? I was also hoping to add an amplifier to give the speakers more volume but not sure you can tie in an amp
with the original stereo? Is this possible? I dont want to have to change the entire system. Would be nice to also change the bass speaker in the armrest box. I fixed the buzz by glueing it once and so far its ok but would be nice to put a better bass speaker. Not sure what would fit. Any suggestions, ideas or what you have done would be helpful. Thanks

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Not sure what city you live in, or near to. But a shop that does installs should be able to answer your questions with ease. Most stock stereos are of poor quality, so as a general item to upgrade, a stereo is often on my list. The Jeep I test drove before ordering my new one, it had the premium Jeep system, and it was NOT good, my Jeep will be going to a stereo shop shortly after I receive it for a refit of components to make it sound good. My wifes new last year Lexus, at the price should, and one would have expected it to sound good. It was not, it was so far from good I would call it appalling. After an upgrade at the shop, it now sounds nice, very nice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I want to put better speakers in my rear rollbar as one is buzzing. Not sure what speaker will fit. Anyone ever changed theirs? I was also hoping to add an amplifier to give the speakers more volume but not sure you can tie in an amp
with the original stereo? Is this possible? I dont want to have to change the entire system. Would be nice to also change the bass speaker in the armrest box. I fixed the buzz by glueing it once and so far its ok but would be nice to put a better bass speaker. Not sure what would fit. Any suggestions, ideas or what you have done would be helpful. Thanks
I put some 6 1/2" Kickers in the roll bar of my TJ and they worked great. However, I ended up installing some Polk Atrium outdoor speakers on the roll bars a few months back. They work even better!

·
Old enough to know better
22 Posts
I put some 6 1/2" Kickers in the roll bar of my TJ and they worked great. However, I ended up installing some Polk Atrium outdoor speakers on the roll bars a few months back. They work even better!
How did you mount the Polk speakers? I have upgraded my front speakers to 5.25 round and that made a huge difference. I had a kenwood head unit with an amp when I was running hard door/top. Now I just run a Pioneer HD/BT units with no amp since I usually don't have the top on.:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
How did you mount the Polk speakers? I have upgraded my front speakers to 5.25 round and that made a huge difference. I had a kenwood head unit with an amp when I was running hard door/top. Now I just run a Pioneer HD/BT units with no amp since I usually don't have the top on.:D
I have the rear seat out of my TJ so I was able to mount them using the upper seat belt mount and drilled a hole for the lower mounting screw. Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
22 Posts
I have an extendatrunk in the back so I could do the same thing. I want to get rid of the sound bar and this set up would be great. Gives me an excuse to sell the seat and remove the seatbelts (haven't used the seat but once in 2 years!) Then I could ditch the rollbar covers. Jeez now I want to line the tub again. See what you started!:D

off topic : what brand of flares are on your jeep?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have an extendatrunk in the back so I could do the same thing. I want to get rid of the sound bar and this set up would be great. Gives me an excuse to sell the seat and remove the seatbelts (haven't used the seat but once in 2 years!) Then I could ditch the rollbar covers. Jeez now I want to line the tub again. See what you started!:D

off topic : what brand of flares are on your jeep?
I'm using the Xenon 4" flat flares. They look good and have held up fine. Chris can attest to the fact that I'm not afraid to lay the Jeep over on them :eek:

I'll eventually install tube fenders in the front.

·
22 Posts
I am still running stock flares but need more clearance. Those look good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm back for more advice as my speakers have finally blown and I have been reading through so many threads here and on jeep forum and there is so much info that I am confused as to what is best to do. One speaker in my bar and the sub in my console is blown. I want to upgrade to better speakers for both and even for the dash cutting the metal bar in there and using the support bracket I have read about. But I dont want to have to add an amp under a seat with more wiring and what not so I'm not sure the stock deck will power better speakers and a better sub will it? I have thought of replacing the deck as well but not sure that will power better speakers either. What do you guys advise?

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I'm back for more advice as my speakers have finally blown and I have been reading through so many threads here and on jeep forum and there is so much info that I am confused as to what is best to do. One speaker in my bar and the sub in my console is blown. I want to upgrade to better speakers for both and even for the dash cutting the metal bar in there and using the support bracket I have read about. But I dont want to have to add an amp under a seat with more wiring and what not so I'm not sure the stock deck will power better speakers and a better sub will it? I have thought of replacing the deck as well but not sure that will power better speakers either. What do you guys advise?
I haven't looked it the OEM Jeep Head unit itself, but.... In my experience, factory units are very low wattage and will not power quality speakers. Under powering speakers is not good for the speaker. I don't think you will be happy just replacing the speakers unless you Amp them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah you are probably right. Need to replace the deck. What about the sub? can I fit an aftermarket 8" in the console without making mods? I see on crutchfield they have an 8" kicker. Wonder if i can just pop that in.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Yeah you are probably right. Need to replace the deck. What about the sub? can I fit an aftermarket 8" in the console without making mods? I see on crutchfield they have an 8" kicker. Wonder if i can just pop that in.
Depends. You might need to get a Shallow mount sub. I know I've seen them offered for them before.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I think I'm gonna get a shallow mount 6.5 kicker. saw reviews that they fit without mods. Now I gotta make sure if I can also fit 6.5 Polks in the bar without cutting or mods.
I think I have read both. That they will fit and that they dont and you have to modify.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just upgraded my stereo, speakers and sub with amp going to sub only. Used 5 1/4 in roll bar didn't have to do anything different besides I soldered the factory connector to new speaker. Used the old screws with old speaker covers to mount them. Bought 4inch for the dash again just removed the old 4inch and replaced with new and put the corner dash covers back on. My jeep I got preowned and there was no sub in center console so I bought a 10inch kicker sub with a 600watt amp. Mounted amp under driver seat, mounting sub was a bit of a challenge. I made a mount frame with hard plastic and screwed the sub on that which was mounted to the floor. I was able to slip the center console perfectly over the speaker. Cut the tray down a bit and loaded the console with cardboard around the edges for more of a reinforced box feeling used rubberized coating on inside and stuffed it with foam. Bought a deck (XO Vision) that was a 2 inch (bought mounting kit) stereo has a 7inch touch screen that slides out, Bluetooth, DVD, front and rear cameras. Got the deck at Walmart for less than $140. Detachable face too. All in all very happy, sounds great. I did leave the tweeters in dash and probably should of replaced them too but the sound is 1000% better plus I can use my iPhone without using a crap FM MODULATOR or rigging an aux input jack for the same price as a new deck almost.

Like I said everything was very easy except for Sub woofer being a different size. Easy way around that is replacement subs that mount to center console from quadratec for $89, uses factory connection.

I'll send pics or answer any questions if you got any but for all the equipment including 500 watt sub, stereo, 600 watt amp, 2 (51/4) and 2 (4in)speakers and 2 cameras 1 front and 1 rear was $410 total. Sub = Kicker and speakers = Pioneer. Got everything at Walmart plus saved factory deck incase want to revert back to OEM down the road. The OEM speakers were made out of light paper from Mexico and I was quite shocked they lasted 10 years...

There are definitely better systems out there but for more $$$ the quality cant be beat and the sound is fantastic!!!

Goodluck.

Attachments

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Just remember guys to verify speaker phasing to ensure best sound best sound quality... It's easy to do with a battery from your cordless drill or a 9v!!

Only takes a few seconds.. When I was an installer we were trained to verify EVERY speaker phasing even if they were marked ( + ) and ( - ).. Take not of factory wire orientation before removing then check factory phasing then check new speaker phasing and wire appropriately..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts