Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Chris suggested a thread here, and well here it is.
I'm not trying to blow windows out of my truck via some super elaborate sound system, just a nice clean, crisp sound, at moderate volume. Replacing the indash stereo itself, and putting in new speakers to. Ford regular cab F250, that I am willing to cut a hole or two in if need be for speakers. Prefer the stereo part to have enough watts to power speakers, without the need for remote amps, and it must have Sirius /XM radio to.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
In my 86 I just cut out the hole where the factory radio sat and installed an off the shelf radio unit. Also replaced the speakers in the doors as the OEM paper ones are about worthless (one was blown too).

As far as Sirius radio, that will depend on the head unit you decide upon. Most anymore have plenty of power without needing amps and such. I've spent around $150 on my last two radios. They are satellite ready, but i've never used it.

Make sure you get fairly good quality speakers...they're what does the work. :)

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Craig, check this place out. http://outlet.crutchfield.com/
I bought a stereo for Barrie's Jeep and one for my Jeep here. Good quality. They include any mounting hardware to adapt it to your specific application. And include the wiring neccessary to make it compatiable with your existing harness. They should have what you are looking for.
They should also be able to help you with speakers.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ota, and Jee, thanks to you both. The truck was doing a lot of long road trips for several years, but long ago. At the time I upgraded the stock sound system to its current one, but it has ceased working, except am radio. Guessing here, but its probably 19 or 20 years old now. Its so old that Rik probably still had hair and teeth when it was installed. The indash unit is a Kenwood, and the speakers are a mystery as to their brand name. In the present, are there brands to really be on the lookouut for, both because they are exceptionally good, or bad? At the time the stereo shop sold me this system as they claimed it was great stuff. And I admit its been good for 2 decades, so no complaints.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Some fords require special tools to pull the factory radio.

Many moons ago when I was in the install game Alipine had best advertised to actual power outputs. Pioneer was decent.. Sony, kenwood were so so.. Jvc, polk junk. iced owned many pioneers and alpine with good results, pioneer was more well, user friendly. Take this all with a grain of salt as it was a few years ago.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not decided on anything yet, but did look today, both online, and instore while in town. Sadly so many now are chock full of things I don't want. I have zero use for my stereo to have bluetooth, gps, and gimmicks. My listening is about 1% CD's, 30% normal FM radio, and the majority is Sirius/XM radio. Honestly if I could find a good sounding speaker set, and combine it with an FM/Sattelite radio unit, with high wattage output, I would be very satisfied.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Most websites are not set up for older vehicles. In your truck if you are talking about the Ford pickup you can almost install anything you want. It has been years since I sold my 73 so I don't even remember where the speakers were in that thing.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Ota, and Jee, thanks to you both. The truck was doing a lot of long road trips for several years, but long ago. At the time I upgraded the stock sound system to its current one, but it has ceased working, except am radio. Guessing here, but its probably 19 or 20 years old now. Its so old that Rik probably still had hair and teeth when it was installed. The indash unit is a Kenwood, and the speakers are a mystery as to their brand name. In the present, are there brands to really be on the lookouut for, both because they are exceptionally good, or bad? At the time the stereo shop sold me this system as they claimed it was great stuff. And I admit its been good for 2 decades, so no complaints.
I still have all my hair and teeth now. Hmmmm....

I have just what you are looking for. I have an AM/FM in dash 8 track tape stereo for your old beater truck. Go nostalgic.
I found it in my dad's garage and I have no idea what to do with it. I tested it and it still works. Ebay?

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
What year is your truck Kel?

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you r4, I might go with the simplest Alpine unit I found, add a Sirius tuner that plugs into it, then put some nice polk speakers in the doors, and under the seat a small alpine amp and small already boxed sub by Sound Ordnance. I have a lot of room under the seat. Since my trucks just at the shop awaiting parts, I had an upholstery company (A couple who works from their home, and do nice work) go down, remove the door panels, the seat, and the dash top. Having all new custom made door panels and dash top. The seat upgraded with 2 stage density memory foam and then heat added, before covering in nice thick brown leather. The same leather going on the doors and dash. Should look nice when complete, and in winter the heat will be a welcome addition. I need to take down speakers and any amp Monday, so Tuesday they will install it in the doors and under the seat before replacing them. Then the shop can wire it all up and have the wires to the dash, so a stereo shop can then just replace the head unit and hook it all up. Car audio items used to be so expensive for good stuff, now its cheap.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Been a while since i had my '77...

F100 with a 351M :D

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ota, not much of mine is original now, the engine block itself is, but the 460 has been rebuilt, and my son being as he is could not leave it stock, so it is a bit on the radical side now. It doesn't even idle like a normal engine, it idles fast to be smoother. Then the transmission upgrade, fuel tank, brakes, cab, steering, and on it went. When your Son is a Technician, and automobile freak, well your truck becomes altered. I came back from holidays once to a note where my truck formerly sat, "Dad trucks not stolen, will be back when I get it put together" actually at the time I was concerned, I love this old truck. But it did come back, and what was already good was better. All I was told was that it must now use premium petrol only, and it has more gears now, and the extras I can play with and find. Well it had many extras, and it made me love the truck even more.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
That was good of him. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts