Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed a couple of door hinges for my Wrangler, and I went to a normally dependable, well known parts suppliers site. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them for years.

I found what I wanted, it was listed as "In Stock". Click Click, all done. Usually, if it isn't at their warehouse, they list it as "Back Order"

Normally when I order form this company, I get my item with 2-3 days.
A week goes by and ....nuttin.

Me: "Where's my stuff?"
Guy: "Shipped"
Me: "when?"
Guy: "Two days ago"
Me: "Dude, I'm only like an hour from you"
Guy: "Oh, it's coming from the manufacturer in Cali"
Me: "What? It was listed as In Stock on your site, was this a back order/drop ship?"
Guy" It was in stock at the manufacturer, you should have it next week"
Me: "So it WAS a back order?"
Guy: "No, it was in stock"
Me: "You just said it was a back order"
Guy : "No I didn't, I said it was in stock at the manufacturer"
Me: "Click....buzzzzzzzz" Ta Ta Liar.

There's a lot more to it (Like the hinges weren't even complete when they finally arrived)

So, I am discovering that a lot of parts companies are starting to operate like politicians. They tell their version of the truth and call it "spin".

"I did not have sexual realtions with that woman", "I think somebody hacked my account" etc. Which could be true, depending on what the definition of truth is.:D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Dell is the same way. My parents ordered my computer a few weeks before Christmas, complete with an HD monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. Not to mention a very nice sound system. Turns out, Dells website said the backordered HD graphics card and keyboard/mouse were in stock, ready to ship. Had to wait almost 2 months to get my new computer, going through all of the crap with someone from India. And it's still a Dell, but once I ridded the system of the Dell crap it works like clockwork.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth putting up with this crap to get the products, even if they are quality...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Local gas prices just went up a little again here yesterday. The reason?

The Spin: "Demand is up because of the unseasonably warm weather, so prices will HAVE go up as a result"

Translation: "You need more gas, so we can charge more for it and get away with it."

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lady on TV this morning pimping for a local charity:

Interviewer: "What is the membership fee?"
Talking head: " There is no fee to join. For a dollar a week donation, we will send you a membership card and this nice "ARTS" umbrella".

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new pizza joint opened near us recently...

"Free Delivery".

We cancelled the delivery last night because it was going to take too long, so the nice young lady told my wife "Oh, well in that case you get $2 off of the price I just gave you". Wife: "Why?", Lady: "You get a discount for carry out orders". Wife: "So, you mean you charge $2 for delivery?". Lady: "No, it's a 2$ discount for carry-out orders".:rolleyes::mad:

·
Jeep Wench
6,710 Posts

"Free Delivery".

We cancelled the delivery last night because it was going to take too long, so the nice young lady told my wife "Oh, well in that case you get $2 off of the price I just gave you". Wife: "Why?", Lady: "You get a discount for carry out orders". Wife: "So, you mean you charge $2 for delivery?". Lady: "No, it's a 2$ discount for carry-out orders".:rolleyes::mad:
LMAO!!! they do this here too. freaking re-re's

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts

"Free Delivery".

LMAO i love that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That's kinda my point. I don't know whether to be highly pissed that so many people lie right to your face, or if I should be amused at how cleverly they do it. Sad part is that most folks don't consider that sort of thing lying at all. It's just spin.

Like the one above, that chick is on TV, smiling and saying it's a free membership to the charity, but you don't get a membership card unless you make a $52 "donation". So, you are not paying a fee, you are making a "required donation". I always thought a required amount of money for entry to anything was a fee.

Spin=Clever lie.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Jet Blue pilot's complete and total freak out called a "medical situation" by JetBlue spokesperson.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=jet+blue+pilot+erratic&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftravel.usatoday.com%2Fflights%2Fstory%2F2012-03-27%2FJetBlue-captain-subdued-after-erratic-behavior-on-flight%2F53811070%2F1%3Fcsp%3D34news&ei=dBtzT6wWyraDB5GVuDo&usg=AFQjCNFNhh6TpQ0Iy9MsF8imCMKtjrmMZw

JetBlue said that the captain of Flight 191, which was diverted to Texas on Tuesday morning, had a "medical situation" and that an off-duty captain traveling on the flight entered the cockpit before the landing "and took over the duties of the ill crewmember once on the ground" in Amarillo.

Spin at it's best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They do it because most of our society is to brain-dead (hence the fascination with zombies lately) to recognize their actions for what they are.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
They do it because most of our society is to brain-dead (hence the fascination with zombies lately) to recognize their actions for what they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think everyone is so used to being lied to by everyone, we've come to accept it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Spy photo.........

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got a post card from my local Cable/Internet/Phone company yesterday:

"Dear Customer,

First, we want to let you know how much we value you and your family as customers and how much we appreciate you allowing us to be your service provider. We hope your experience with us has been satisfying. (Ah, greasing the old keester, you know it's coming)
Unfortunately, your promotional rate is due to expire June 20th. As you know, you have been recieving our services at a deeply discounted rate for the past year.(Funny, I don't recall them telling me that last year when they increased my monthly rate by 20 bucks...hmmm)

Because you have been such a good and loyal customer, we are prepared to discount the increase by 50%, so you will receive the same great services for much less than the standard rate of $_____ monthly.

Thank You for blah blah blah and we hope blah blah blah, for questions or concerns please call 1-800-bul-spit

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that they are giving me such a huge discount. Wow! how lucky am I that they are discounting the increase, so that my monthly charge is ONLY $40 a month more than it was when I signed up two years ago. What a great bunch of guys, doing me such a huge favor!!

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
The cable company here is called "Shaw" cable, they have limited channels, and the price was high for what I could get. So after just 3 months, the boss cancelled our cable and had a dish put in, we get more and better stations, for half the cost. This Shaw cable company keeps offering to set us back up for the same price we now pay for the dish. Why not have offered a better rate in the beginning, she might have kept them. The cost to a cable company must be very limited, as once they hook up the initial cable, all the do is bill you, not anything else to actually do that costs them much money. It is interesting that the dish network people offer us 6 six times as many stations, for slightly less thatn half the cost of shaw cable.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, this latest "discount" is the nail in the coffin. We're looking at AT&T/Dishnetwork now.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I had a similar conversation with Verizon for my cell phone two days ago. $130 a month for a cell phone is horrible.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
I had a similar conversation with Verizon for my cell phone two days ago. $130 a month for a cell phone is horrible.

Same here Chris, Verizon is taking a hike in a couple months when my contract is up. $107. a month for 450 min, unlimited text and intenet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts