Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a quick look at some Jeep after market products. The Smittybuilt line of bumpers, winches, and other goodies, is priced right. But how does it compare in durability to say an ARB or Warn part. This store carried those 3 product lines in stock, and can order others. The pricing was surely attractive if it is nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Most replace the "m" with an "h" on Smittybilt to explain what many think of their product. They are nice looking and cheap, but built for looks IMHO.

·
I'm not lost
790 Posts
I hear bad stuff about smittybilt all the time, but so far I have had no issues with anything I have bought from them! The front bumper an XRC I had on my jeep before my husband t-boned someone held up so well it has a new life on my friends jeep. Only real damage was to the bull bar, he took that off and put a stinger on it. Insurance replaced it for me so I have a new one. I have the rear matching bumper. So far only real issue is a bit of flaking on the powder coating around the lock that holds the swing away open. But other than that it has held up well and hold all my crap I carry :) You can look through my photo's to see my bumpers. I also have their XRC 8 winch, it has done everything I have asked it to do with out failure. My .02 cents

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Take the money you were going to use to buy that stuff and buy some tools and metal and make it yourself if ya can. That way ya get exactly what ya want and it's a lot of fun

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I also have the Smittybilt XRC front and rear swing away bumper on my YJ. It does look good but the metal is way too soft for my liking. The spare tire (33") is so heavy on the rear bumper that it flexes the mount and smacks against the rear tailgate. That is super annoying!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just out their rock rails on and I'm a big guy and they hold me up just fine.. I'm look to buy the new xrc build your own bumper from quadrtec ... not worried a bit

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I have no experience with their bumpers, but tons of experience with their winch. I have the XRC8 and I have used it way more than most use any winch. Not only have I pulled many a Jeep up a hill or out of a jam, but I use it around my ranch a lot too. It's a work horse and I have never had a problem with it for the last four years I've owned it. It's been submerged in water and mud and still works perfectly.
I have friends that have the Warn winch and they've had more than once trouble with them. Especially the one with the built in air compressor.
If my Smittybuilt fails some day, I'll throw it away and buy a brand new one, and STILL not spent what a Warn equivalent costs.
This "bag on Smittybuilt" thing has been so over done on all the forums. If you have a lot of disposable income, and have to wear brand name stuff on our Jeep like an Albercrummy and Fitch addict, get the expensive one. If you trust what every person that owns a Smittybuilt winch says, save the money and don't look back. I guarantee you, there are ten times more Smittybuilt winches on off road vehicles than any other brand. They work, and they last.
Just my humble opinion and experience. The company that makes the winch is not the same manufacturer of their bumpers. Different factory.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
No they are a very similar design but not made at the same factory. I think the windings in them are different too.

·
Old enough to know better
22 Posts
I got the XRC8 free with my FabFour bumper a few years back. It has yet to fail when needed. I have submerged it and came up with 1/2 inch pieces of ice on top. It has been covered in mud many times and rained on repeatedly. I was told 4WD has a "warranty" you can purchase (maybe $50 or $100) where they will replace it free no questions asked if something goes wrong. If this fails before I do then I will replace with another one. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I could never understand the Smittybilt bash or the Rough Country bash along with the you get what you pay for. I've had a RC lift on my 06 Rubi LJ for 6 yrs and not once did I have a problem with it ( now have a JKUR ).
I also have Smittybilt SRC F/R bumpers. Both went on with no problems. I can open & close the tire carrier with no problems with or with out the 35 on it. And it stays shut. No sagging, no bending, nothing but solid.
I slammed into those steel post full of concret. I was at the beach, parking, not looking where I was going ( like I said I was at the beach ) Nothing to the front bumper, it just has some yellow paint on it now.

OK, rant over.:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts