Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the stock shifter knob is a piece of cake.

To remove existing knob, pry off the cover and undo the retaining nut.

Get a pool ball and the retaining nut you just removed.

Drill a hole into the pool ball like the one shown.

cont'd.........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
........cont'd.

A lathe is very useful for drilling nice holes :D

Epoxy the retaining nut into the pool ball.

And voila!, you're done.

Just make sure that when you glue that nut into the pool ball, the knob will end up oriented the right way when you install it.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
OOOoooooohhhh......

I thought this thread was about the simple and cheap mods here on the forum! :D

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Super simple and cheap wood doors I made a few years ago, sorry about the crapy cell phone pics.

OK here's the writeup.

I traced the bottom part of my hard door onto some wood, then decided how I wanted the top to look and drew that on the wood as well. Then I clamped the wood together and cut out both the door's at the same time. After a while I decided I wanted the grab handles so I cut them with a hole saw can then jig saw. for the hinge I used a piece of 1/8" steel and a 3/8"???(I cant remember off hand) Rod that I bent 90 deg into and welded them onto the plate. the lock is a simple slide lock and a small hole drilled in to the tub. I had to use a piece of wood to space out the latch from the door to get it to latch right.

I didnt have any hurck-u-line(sp) laying around so I sprayed them with under coating then ultra flat black, I did this recently so they look alot better than in the pictures.

I probably have about $30 in them and they work great and have had them for about 4 years.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I got some flack for them but they look pretty good and there 7 years old and still working.A few in my club run them and I still would be but I found a set of bestop doors with uppers for $50 soooo....

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wheel/tires rubbing?

I replaced my steels with some Canyons, wheel was rubbing bad enough on the inside of the passenger side to knock the balancing weights off.

Checked around and found out that you can put a few washers on the steering stops and prevent it.

Cost me 12 cents a piece for four washers (two for each side) and about fifteen minutes.

Problem solved.

PS-Wood doors are a great idea!! Better than those canvas jobs any day!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Replacing the stock shifter knob is a piece of cake.

To remove existing knob, pry off the cover and undo the retaining nut.

Get a pool ball and the retaining nut you just removed.

Drill a hole into the pool ball like the one shown.

cont'd.........
All I had to do was twist mine off..

·
Hey, y'all watch this!
5,113 Posts
Ford Explorer roof rack on the hard top. $20

Home made CB mount, around $6

Thrid brake light in the center cap.

LED lights in the guages.

Homemade mirrors

In cab winch controls

·
Low Output 2.5
674 Posts
Top Hoist (about $60) :D

I bought a hand winch and rope from HF and various pulleys ,eye hooks, cable clamps and quick chain links from Lowes

Installed the winch on the wall

Put 2 eye hooks with a piece of galvanized pipe between them as a "pulley'' to get me around the corner of the wall to ceiling

Then put the 6 eye hooks and pulleys on the ceiling(making sure to hit a floor joist) also put the 4 eye hooks on the platform that used to be the hardtop dolly. i also ran the rope through every pulley.

I used a small D rind to transition from the rope to the winch hook.

Last i put my summer windows and soft top on the platform and raised it to the ceiling, I put 2 ratchet straps on to keep it up in case something fails.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Top Hoist (about $60) :D

I bought a hand winch and rope from HF and various pulleys ,eye hooks, cable clamps and quick chain links from Lowes

Installed the winch on the wall

Put 2 eye hooks with a piece of galvanized pipe between them as a "pulley'' to get me around the corner of the wall to ceiling

Then put the 6 eye hooks and pulleys on the ceiling(making sure to hit a floor joist) also put the 4 eye hooks on the platform that used to be the hardtop dolly. i also ran the rope through every pulley.

I used a small D rind to transition from the rope to the winch hook.

Last i put my summer windows and soft top on the platform and raised it to the ceiling, I put 2 ratchet straps on to keep it up in case something fails.
Nice! I did the same thing although I used my jeep winch to pull the rack to the ceiling. In the summer i put my hard top on it. in the winter i put the kids power-wheels on it. The problem I have is the weight is not evenly distributed especially with the hard top. The ropes tend to stretch and they stretch unevenly because they are different lengths. Did you have this problem? If so, how did u solve it?

Attachments

·
Low Output 2.5
674 Posts
I did have trouble getting it to lift level. What I did was lifted it like 6" off the floor and then retightened the ropes as needed to get as level as possible.
I used a cable clamp at the platform so its easy to adjust if necessary

The rope I used has a 300lb working load so hopefully I don't have any problems with it, if I do I'll change over to steel cable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts