Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my trans is harder to shift lately, the clutch seems fine? The most notable is downshifting although sometimes but not all the time 1st to 2nd? Is my clutch wore more than I think it is or is it something in my trans?
Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeep specs

1997 TJ, 4.0, AX-15 transmission, Hurst Shifter, 4"lift, 33/12.50/15, Dana 30,Dana 44, 3:73 Pos-Lok, warn winch, warn bumpers, warn body guards, warn fog lights, 64,000 miles, cb, gps, marine stereo, hi-lift jack, 6 qts of Valvoline, fram filter with magnet,stock air box with K&N filter, Valvoline products in the Diffs,trans,TC and all in all I am happy with the gas mileage.
Is that helpful?

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Clashing or just stiff? (no you perverts not that stiff)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TJ fishing specs

I used to be a Super Master Mechanic, key words, used to be. Now I am as slow as a turtle in a coma. That being said my thing was driveablity and light line. My thinking is either the clutch is well worn but still works or the transmission syncros or bad. If the shifting forks were bent or some how damage it would have the problem all the time. I don't pretend too know everything, heck when I knew everything I still didnt no jack! So I thought I post this because I couldn't hold some of these members water when it comes to common Jeep problems.
I bought this Jeep about two months ago and this is my only complaint.
Jim Stark

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
When does it seam more prone to act up? Cold, hot, initial start??

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Does sound like clutch disk might be going.. Have you done anything with your gear oil???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gear oil

No Sir,
I will change and inspect it. I am with you on thinking that the clutch is worn, just not slipping. What would be a great clutch to get? Thanks for you help.
Jim Stark

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Honestly haven't looked into them for the Jeep.. I run Spec and ACT In my race car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I posted early about hard shifting, when the engine is off I can go through the gears just fine so I pretty much figure it's the clutch. I found another problem that makes me think the trans does need rebuilt. To find 5th is really hard and going 60-70mph when letting off the gas there is a vibration but push in the clutch the vibration goes away? 5th gear only, tried it in 4th and no problem. So now I drive around with a 4sp trans. Any ideas? I figure it's time or a new clutch and trans.

·
ASE Certified Shade Tree Mechanic
4 Posts
Double pump your clutch if that helps then you clutch master cylinder is going.

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Well if its the transmission, at least be very glad its a manual, as they are a fraction of the cost to repair, compared to an automatic. Its super easy to pull, and re-install a manual transmissionn to, and change the clutch.. I suck at working on stuff, and I can do it fine. So you can also save the extra money and pull it yourself, and just take the tranny to a repair shop. Saving probably 4 hours of labour charges on the pulling out, and installation.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yeah it sounds like the clutch is worn. The vibe in fifth could be your drive shaft u-joints are wearing and are telling you at the higher speeds.
Good luck and keep us posted on the solution.

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
:)
yeah it sounds like the clutch is worn. The vibe in fifth could be your drive shaft u-joints are wearing and are telling you at the higher speeds.
Good luck and keep us posted on the solution.
x2:)

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
I noticed that my trans is harder to shift lately, the clutch seems fine? The most notable is downshifting although sometimes but not all the time 1st to 2nd? Is my clutch wore more than I think it is or is it something in my trans?
Jim
have you tried changing the fluid? i had a similar problem, i changed my fluid from gear oil to synth auto trans fluid for the summer, worked out great. and i also drained and refilled my clutch fluid. hope this helps, you may have gottin water in it at some point and corrupted the fluid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts