Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my oil pan. Can I use RTV for a gasket, like I did for my ttransmission pan? Or do I need to get the oil pan gasket kit? I would rather use RTV, if I can, as I find it much easier to work with.

Also any tips & tricks to the removal and replacement of the oil pan would be great.

Thanks
James:cool:

·
Retired- Now I Golf
2,942 Posts
Since you had no reply yet I called my Son and asked his thoughts. So long as missing the gaskets thickness does not cause a clearance issue inside with the oil pickup, and the pan is not too warped, he said you should be fine. To also be sure to clean both surfaces well first to ensure no left over gasket remains. He also mentioned if its a thin pan, prone to warping, that the little special made washers for oil pans, that go on the bolt are a good idea, as they spread out the torque of the fastener and he uses them extensively in his shop. He does mostly high performance, and exotics in his business, but that these things apply to almost all vehicles.

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
I need to replace my oil pan. Can I use RTV for a gasket, like I did for my ttransmission pan? Or do I need to get the oil pan gasket kit? I would rather use RTV, if I can, as I find it much easier to work with.

Also any tips & tricks to the removal and replacement of the oil pan would be great.

Thanks
James:cool:
I find The Right Stuff works GREAT! Ensure that the flange is not warped or dimpled. Check with a straight edge, if possible. Flatten dimples with hammer and steel backup. Torque bars (spreaders) help a lot. Good luck.

·
17 Posts
You can do anything and make it work...I put a new gasket on mine when I replaced my RMS. There is a few places on the gasket the FSM requires the use of rtv. The gasket has a steel reinforcement/ spacers in it that prevents over tightening of the oil pan bolts. Just my 2 cents....

·
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII
25 Posts
You can do anything and make it work...I put a new gasket on mine when I replaced my RMS. There is a few places on the gasket the FSM requires the use of rtv. The gasket has a steel reinforcement/ spacers in it that prevents over tightening of the oil pan bolts. Just my 2 cents....
^this. I used the gaskets with tiny bits of RTV in certain places...helps hold the gasket in the proper place while installing it. Less mess later too.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
If it had a gasket i would probably try to put one back on it.

Which is different from my diesel, which is supposed to only have RTV. Thats how the factory built the engine, not sure why though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts