Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some new 31 super swampers and rode them for a while the ride didnt change much just rubbed like hell so i put a shakle lift on it is that the reason it rides rough now that i think about i didnt grease the shakle bolts ia that the problem? Or is it just a jeep thing

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Step 1:

Sentence structure!! It's very helpful to get your message across as clear and concisely as possible so we can understand what you're on about.

Step 2:

Remove your track bars. They create unnecessary stiffness in the suspension quality and do not allow the springs to flex, not hardly at all. They are not required for leaf springs, and were only put in place to, essentially shut the hippies up.

Step 3:

Run your tires at the proper tire pressure. 31" tires like to run around 32-35psi on the roads.

Step 4:

Double check the shackle bolt torque, and yes greasing them is required (if you want everything to rotate smoothly).

·
Registered
48 Posts
You failed to mention what kind of swampers you are running. Bias ply versions are not going to perform very good on the road in comparison to radial construction tires.

If your shackle bolts are too tight it will not allow the springs to move causing your rig to ride rough. If everything is greased up good you should be able to put a wrench on the end of the bolt and rotate it in the shackle

Since you will have everything apart i highly recommend buying a set of greasable shackle bolts. It really saves a lot of time on maintenance.

Make sure that none of your shocks are binding due to rust or dents or worn out. I had one with a dent in it that was not moving freely and it made my jeep feel like it had absolutely no suspension. Just because it goes up and down doesnt mean its good so check them by hand. Gas shocks will be tough to compress all the way by hand and will quickly return to full extention as soon as you let go. Hydro schocks should have a good amount of resistance when you push/pull and will stay where you leave them. I invested in some rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks and they are great because you can dial them in specifically for your rig as well as soften them up when you get on the trail.

Experiment with different tire pressures. every tire brand will behave differently. My 33's drive and wear great around 26 psi so for your 31's i would start at 30-32 and see what it does.

If your still not happy, go buy some old man emu lift springs they are the best thing since sliced bread.. i only wish you could get them in larger lift sizes than 2 inch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts