Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a hard op on craigslits and got it for 500.00 with a which to take it off. Top is in real good shape but it need a good cleaning to get the years of oxidation off it. Anyone ever do the same type of project? Any tip would be helpful.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
My jeep hardtop was also in real bad shape when I got it. I took it off, gave it a light sanding to eliminate the bird doo and other foreign stuff from it, then painted it with the Rustoleum "Hammered Black" finish. I then resealed the bottom edge and 4 years later, still looks great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Whatever you do don't use spray on bed liner or Herc. Just trust me on that.

On my second jeep I just used Rustoleum Professional spray paint in semi-gloss black and it has looked new for the last couple of years.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Mine was faded grey and I re-painted it also. I used Krylon. But it just hangs in the garage so the paint is holding up really well. lol

·
Registered
331 Posts
What would you prime it with?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
The top is fiberglass/plastic concoction, so priming really isn't necessary unless you are turning black to white, or some other major color change.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Like Havasu said, the only time you really need primer is on a major color change or on bare metal or plastic and for plastic like flares you would need a plastic adhesion promoter.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
For me it lasted about 8 months before it started flaking off. I am talking about the canned stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I've heard of people using "Line X", but you have to pay to get it done. I still think if you were to get mud or bird poop on it, it would be a real bugger to come off cleanly.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Spray paint is cheap and if you get a scratch, spray paint is cheap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's why I asked aboout primer. I would think it would hold up better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts