Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on repainting my fender flares on my Rio a weekend soon, but not exactly sure what would be the best process. I have seen a few posts about how hard/aggravating it is to remove the fender flares. Since I am at college six hours from home at the moment, I want to figure everything out before I start this task. What would be the best way to go about this? What tools specifically will I need? And any suggestions on paint? Also, thinking about painting my front bumper also, since the previous owner got an off-color orange on it from painting the front passenger side fender :mad: Will post a picture of both the flares and bumpers soon, and definitely before, during, and after pictures if I choose to do it :cool:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Usually they're screwed in, the screws thread into a plastic retainer which is a bit of a pain to hold onto sometimes. otherwise they should come right out. As far as painting goes, sand them down with 250 grit then wet sand with 400 grit to make them smooth and give them a good base for the paint to stick to.

Then just use whatever paint you want to use to paint them. Multiple coats is always the best way to go. I did mine in a couple hours with some cheapo rattle can Gloss black spray paint. Improved the looks vastly.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
If they are bare plastic I would recommend a good plastic paint adhesion promoter and then you can use either spray paint or color matched paint from a paint store in a spray gun which is how I recommend it. You can get the promoter from any paint supply house for about 20 bucks a can.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
If they are bare plastic I would recommend a good plastic paint adhesion promoter and then you can use either spray paint or color matched paint from a paint store in a spray gun which is how I recommend it. You can get the promoter from any paint supply house for about 20 bucks a can.
I always add a flex additive when painting flexible parts to help keep the paint from cracking when the parts twist here and there

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I'm not going to over my own head with this project then? I'm planning on doing it next weekend when I go home for Easter. If everything works out and I am able to do it, I will most definitely post pictures. But, one more question, will it be just as easy to put them back on as it seems it will be to take them off?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I always add a flex additive when painting flexible parts to help keep the paint from cracking when the parts twist here and there
I haven't had to much problem when using auto paints except when I shove a tire into them or hit something but then I don't think anything would help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm planning on repainting my fender flares on my Rio a weekend soon, but not exactly sure what would be the best process. I have seen a few posts about how hard/aggravating it is to remove the fender flares. Since I am at college six hours from home at the moment, I want to figure everything out before I start this task. What would be the best way to go about this? What tools specifically will I need? And any suggestions on paint? Also, thinking about painting my front bumper also, since the previous owner got an off-color orange on it from painting the front passenger side fender :mad: Will post a picture of both the flares and bumpers soon, and definitely before, during, and after pictures if I choose to do it :cool:
Just a suggestion but take the blue painters tape, tape off any areas you don't want paint on and then take some type of paper - newspaper, etc and tape that back far enough so you don't get any over spray

Use "Plasti Dip in an air sprayer and put your first coat on rather thin. Let it dry for awhile and then put another coat on until you have it on thick enough.

This will also work on the bumpers. Just scrub them until totally clean and let dry. You can order most colors from Plasti Dip or order their package where you can mix your own colors.

This is what I used to paint the front and rear differentials today. This stuff will not allow rock chips to break through the paint and will last a very long time. IF you don't like the way it turned out or the color, just find a very fine corner piece and "pull it off." They also sell different shades or once done, you can spray a nice gloss on to everything.

If you have any areas where there is over spray, again, just grab a corner and pull it off.

When you have applied the tape and it's in an area where there are cracks, try and get the tape down into them as far as you can. But be very careful when taking the tape off because if it's stuck to a painted area you can pull part of it off. If that happens I usually just rip everything off and start again.

You might want to go on YouTube and watch a couple of video's. They have some great tips on what to do or what not to do.

I've been using this product shortly after it came out. Love to spray my trailer that I load my quad on, different colors. It really confused the neighbors until I told them what it was that I was using.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On my wife's, I simply cut up some cardboard beer/pop cases and slid them between the flare and fender and taped the seams and painted them carefully. Much simpler and quicker than removing them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How does the Plasti Dip hold up to abuse? My fenders scrape rocks from time to time?
With Plasti Dip, abuse to me is driving over highways/freeways/interstates, etc that have been plastered with red cinders and "salt" during winter months. It will stick to your wheels during the winter months.

Now, as far as scraping against rocks. A slight scrape may not do any damage if you have it on thick enough. A large scrape where it's gone through the Plastic Dip will require "repairing" it with one of their kits or just rip it all off and lay on a new coating.

They also have some pretty tough "gloss" that will take quite a beating. I would just go on YouTube, get their phone # and ask them.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
If there unpainted to start with just take a heat gun to them, no paint. You'd be surprised in how well they come back

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been researching Plasti Dip for the past three hours. I've never heard of it before, so I wanted to figure out what it was. I like the idea of a "quick(er)" fix, except I am driving a Wrangler, and I want to be sure that I don't have to redo them every time I go off-roading. What are other suggestions for the paint brand or type?

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
I usually get a single stage color matched paint from my paint store, sometimes I get equipment paint because it holds up a little better. In my area a quart will cost close to 50 bucks but o me it is worth it to have a factory looking paint job.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the plan was to paint the fender flares this weekend, but it wasn't warm enough. So now the plan is to do with the first two weeks of May.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry that it's taking so long to reply to this thread, got busy with moving home and then some engine trouble. Loads of fun. But I had planned to take them off and paint them with a paint that I used on my doors the summer before, because it held up well. The amount of screws, and the dang placement of them, quickly changed my mind. I just plan to cover the body and paint the fenders on the Jeep. Not sure when this will actually happen, now that I am about to move back, but will most definitely post pictures when I do. And the type of paint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ohk, I know it has been a long time, but I finally got the time to do some stuff to my Wrangler. I decided that I would paint the metal squares around my headlights, my side body armor, and my rims along with my fender flares. However, I used Rust-oleum from Walmart for the fender flares. This is the same paint that I used to paint over my blue half doors I got last summer to replace my full doors. It's just a flat black without much gloss. I didn't take them off the Jeep either. I just taped up the side of the Jeep with plastic dropcloth and sprayed them. Worked out very well! I used Plasti Dip on my rims, body armor, and headlights squares. I am very pleased with the results! I haven't had any problems with scratching, but I haven't been doing any hardcore driving. I will let y'all know how it lasts!! Here are a few pictures, I included one of my rims before also. And, yes, I know they are Grand Cherokee rims, I didn't buy them, the previous owner did. I will have more pictures after I get a chance to give her a good wash and wax. If you want closer pictures of anything in particular, let me know.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts