Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, never owned a Jeep, but might soon.

I was helping an associate to get a 92 Wrangler running. The dizzy gear striped, which through some research I found that is a pretty common issue. He had purchase a used dizzy from someone online who knows about these vehicles. We couldn't get it to start, ultimately no spark. He wants nothing to do with it and has since offered it to me for what I think is a fair price, but I want to make sure I'm not getting over my head. I thinking of fixing it up for my daughter's first car and being she's willing to help with the project I'm stoked to spend that time with her.

It's a 4 banger, 5-speed, 4wd; any advice on what to look for / stay away from would be appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a good project Jeep! I have a 92 and neve heard of a Dizzy gear. What the heck is that ? The common failure for starting is the CPS Crank position sensor or the computer. Did you check for spark ? pull a plug and see if its firing. If have spark then maybe the fuel pump is not right. Check the fuel pressure with a guage. You can get one on Amazon or other sources.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
distributor gear. There is no spark. I can smell fuel on the plug, which still doesn't mean the pump is flowing enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 92islander

·
Registered
15 Posts
distributor gear. There is no spark. I can smell fuel on the plug, which still doesn't mean the pump is flowing enough.
I have not mucked with the distributor on mine but typically the electronic ones use a reluctor blade and sense the nodes for each pulse. Is the distributor turning for certain, like you crank it and can see it spin with the cap off? All electrical connections are solidly plugged? If no spark at all then the COIL /CPS or the Computer are all I can think that would be left. Maybe some others can suggest more to check. Hmmm interesting one for sure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dizzy spins, no spark. Coil was replaced (not by me), voltage is present at input to coil. I did read that I can put a spark plug on the output of the coil and check for spark to test the coil. I'm going to look at the Jeep Sat afternoon, to make sure there are no rust issues, etc. then talk about a deal and how long I have to let it sit in his driveway as I don't have a way to haul it nor really a place to store it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dizzy spins, no spark. Coil was replaced (not by me), voltage is present at input to coil. I did read that I can put a spark plug on the output of the coil and check for spark to test the coil. I'm going to look at the Jeep Sat afternoon, to make sure there are no rust issues, etc. then talk about a deal and how long I have to let it sit in his driveway as I don't have a way to haul it nor really a place to store it.
Go to your local auto store and get a TOW cable. its like 25 feet long and you can pull that Jeep home if you want. they are not expensize and come in handy. Ive used mine several times over the years. Way cheaper than a TOW.
Example: https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Fac...ocphy=9007474&hvtargid=pla-378169895673&psc=1

the hooks can be used to make a loop. they do not have to clip on anyting. like just loop thru a bumper etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
be sure to also check this thread and see if there are any stored codes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info thus far. When I go to look at it this weekend I'll try to get the codes.
Also, are there any articles about adding A/C to a YJ? I did some searching on this forum, but came up very short. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looked at the YJ today, was in pretty good shape like I thought. I've got a couple weeks to get her running or the seller will help tow her to me. There is no CEL either when you turn the key or work the key on/off to get codes. I think that points to a bad ECU. I found the write up referenced below on how to replace the caps, so I pulled the ECU and will open it up to see what I find.

ECU repair: Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU

Here's some troubleshooting I'll be going through once I get back to the Jeep:

I have the last week of the year off, so I got plans now...

Reactions: 92islander
1 - 9 of 9 Posts