Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my 89 wrangler started making a popping sound today while going into 1st and turning. Its done it a few times in the last week but I haven't driving a stick in a while so thought it was from me not shifting right but today it started doing it a lot more.. =(

Any ideas? I'm taking it to the shop to get checked out but would rather do it myself so if possible that way I can learn more about it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
If it seems to be coming from the rear axle it might be a good idea to take the diff cover of and have a look in the rear differential. Dana 35's do like to munch spider gears now and then

·
I'm not lost
790 Posts
I agree with aw12345, Give you gears a good look. I blew mine about 6 months ago, and it made a clunk when shifting for a while before it went all the way out. Hubby though I was having issues shifting too as I had not had a stick for a long time. But once we replaces the gears that noise went away.

·
King Thread De-Railer
2,801 Posts
it could be the carrier banging against the case. i have a D44 that it just eats shims.

check for any slack in the carrier/check your gears.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
If it happens while turning and it's coming from the rear, it sounds like spyder gears. Easy to replace. But do it before in munches the ring and pinion.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I grenaded the spyders in my D35 but parked it right away and fixed it. Saved the R&P.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Every tIke I have herd that noise it's either been a driveline U-joint is a loose control arm or a bad control arm bushing. All easy fixes

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Every tIke I have herd that noise it's either been a driveline U-joint is a loose control arm or a bad control arm bushing. All easy fixes
YJ's don't have control arms. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had someone look at it and it doesn't have any bushings in rear at all. Would that also cause a squeeky noise every once in a while?

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
A squeaky noise in the rear is either you had too much beans, your kids, or the leaf spring bushings. Could be dist on the shocks. Hard to tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya i accidentally put it in the tj section, thought I hit YJ... sorry. And ya there are no bushings on it right now so as soon as those parts get in I'll figure out if that's the problem

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
A squeak and popping could very well be u-joints. Set your parking brake and with the trans in neutral push/pull/twist the driveshaft while looking at the u-joints on each end of the shaft. There should be no movement at all within the joint. They're easy to replace...can be done with a couple blocks of wood, a socket, and a hammer. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts