Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 TJ Sahara, 4.0 motor, auto trans, stock gears, 32" tires, AEM Cold Air intake with throttle body spacer, electric fan, new plugs, wires, high capacity water pump, new cat + all exhaust sensors replaced with brand new parts.
Currently getting 8.4 MPG? Any ideas would be appreciated

·
Resident Grouch
52 Posts
98 TJ Sahara, 4.0 motor, auto trans, stock gears, 32" tires, AEM Cold Air intake with throttle body spacer, electric fan, new plugs, wires, high capacity water pump, new cat + all exhaust sensors replaced with brand new parts.
Currently getting 8.4 MPG? Any ideas would be appreciated
First off, I'd like to see datastream info. Fuel trims, MAF readings, etc. Then compression test; dry and wet. Then we can try to figure it out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since replacing all these parts have you reset your ecm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have not reset ECM. Any suggestion on what programmer to use?

Concerning tire size and gear ratio, I checked with Randy's and 4Wheel Parts, who both think I have the correct gear ratio. They claim bigger tires should yield better mileage, but less acceleration?

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
When I changed from stock tires to 33" tires on my auto YJ with stock gearing, my MPG went from 15 down to 9. Bigger tires don't yield better mileage as long as you have to start and stop the revolution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't really need any tools to do it, just pull the positive connector on the battery and hold that to the negative side for a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
Bigger tires will yield you better mileage but only on the open highway of which is flat when it can keep you at a lower RPM. It is just like gearing say from 4:10 to 3:73 but on take off it will use much more fuel then before to get the larger tire turning and the vehicle up to speed. So if most of your driving is around town it will hurt your mileage quite a bit but if all you do is long haul trucking it will benifit you unless you live in the mountains where hills will get you because you will have to push that pedal more to keep speed up.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
One thing to remember, is that with a tire change your odometer will be inaccurate. How are you getting your mileage figures when computing your MPG.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.