Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first off I don't have a jeep yet but of coarse I really want one. I found one on the Internet in a local used jeep dealership. It is $7,000 and is a 1995 yj with 122,000 miles on it would this be a reasonable buy since it has that many miles on it.

I am only a Sophmore in High school right now and am hoping to save up and get a jeep in the summer. If this is not a reasonable buy would you please tell me. And if you could give some pointers about jeeps, or other pre owned dealerships in the North Georgia area it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
That is way too much for a YJ unless it is loaded with some pretty cool modifications. The '95 was the best year for the YJ tho', and the last year before they went to the TJ.
It would help to know were you are so I can get an idea of the market.
122K miles doesn't say much. Mine had 134K on it but it was owned by an elderly couple that towed it behind their motorhome all over the country. The motor probably only had 40K if that.
So start there. Tell me what your money in pocket is, do you have more money to throw at it later, where you are, and is it going to be your main mode of transportation or just a toy you play with.
And welcome to the site. We are happy to help.

·
98 Posts
^good start and to add if you have cash on hand avoid dealers. Don't buy a 2000, check the frame, listen to it run,and test drive it, put in 4wd, check the fluids, and look for leaks. These are really standard to check on anything you by.

·
The YJ Guy
25 Posts
I got my 95 YJ Rio Grande with ~120,000 on it for $5200 out the door here in Ohio. Bought it from a dealer and I believe I over-payed for mine. It was worth it because I got a mint YJ that spent most of its life in Cali.

Like said above -- check the frame, tub, etc. for rust (body mounts, frame shackle mounts and crossmember mounting locations are prime places for rust) -- take it for a drive and see how it tracks on the road -- make sure all fluids are up, check motor for blow-by, etc. -- make sure 4WD engages correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought my '95 YJ Rio Grande about two years ago. Mine had a hard top and full doors, and I paid $4600 with the same mileage. Do you have a picture of it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey guys, first off I don't have a jeep yet but of coarse I really want one. I found one on the Internet in a local used jeep dealership. It is $7,000 and is a 1995 yj with 122,000 miles on it would this be a reasonable buy since it has that many miles on it.

I am only a Sophmore in High school right now and am hoping to save up and get a jeep in the summer. If this is not a reasonable buy would you please tell me. And if you could give some pointers about jeeps, or other pre owned dealerships in the North Georgia area it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
About 21/2 years ago I bought my 91 YJ that had been totally done over about 5years previous. Anyway it was stock with soft top and half doors for $3000. I live in MA . Hoot luck with your purchase...

·
43 Posts
I traded for mine. An 82 Corvette worth 5K, the Jeep YJ I traded for was a 4.0 5 speed, lifted with new tires and wheels, two tops, a full and bikini and divider, and nice seats. Also good-ish paint, polish and very presentable. Also 140,000 miles.

What your looking for, slight modded, ie 3-4"s lift, tires, wheels ought to go for 5K or $500 + or - from there. It ought to have a sound system, soundbar and stereo cd too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts