Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 2 (with pictures)--Wrangler Build (HighSchool Shop Classes)..... PART 2

We took some pictures of the RUST areas that we have startedworking on.

1. Front frame (steeringbox on inside of frame) was rusted. Wetook a grinder to it……..we found some “hair-line cracks” in the frame. Next, we mig weld the “cracks”, took thegrinder and cleared-up, mig weld again “top patch”-- final smooth-up withgrinder. Then, we make a 3/16” plate to strengthframe (hole were cut in plate for accessing the mounting bolts for steeringbox). We will treat metal with Eastwood’sRust Convert, weld thru primer, mig weld plate onto frame, smooth-up welds,prime and finally paint.

2. Front Passenger side floor pan was rusted (picture) next todoor opening. We cut-out the rust area(we bought NEW Front Floor Pans), trimmed replacement pan to fit opening. We will treat all rusted metal with Eastwood’sRust Convert, spray on “weld thru primer”, mig weld into place, grind toclean-up weld, spray primer, Paint and FINALLY put a bedliner coating forfinishing touch.

3. Front Driver side floor pan is rusted (picture) next to dooropening. We will do the same as we didon the Passenger side.

4. Rear TOP Shock mount—Driver(no picture) and Passenger side(picture)—will be replaced with some mounts that we are making in the shop.

5. Rear TOP Shock Mounts (picture)…… we are NOT finished, nextweld in “gusset” to top edge to back edge for strengthen shock bolt, round-offedges and paint.

6. Rear Frame Driver side--SHACKLE rear mount—(picture)…. We arein the process of dropping gas tank, so we can get to area for repair. Not sure if we are going to fabricate or checkon buying rear repair sections ???? $$$$....

7. Rear Frame Passenger side—SHACKLE rear mount—(picture) ….. sameas above.

We got a start, NOW….. we’ll see how it’s goes!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Pretty cool project. My boss had a local high school build him a BBQ trailer. He paid for everything and they built it.

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty cool project. My boss had a local high school build him a BBQ trailer. He paid for everything and they built it.
We usually build a couple BBQ trailers each year,Each of the BBQ trailers require a "bunch" of cutting,layout and welding. Good practice for our welding contest each year.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Aren't we happy we do not life in rust country. We can actually taking bolts of without breaking out the torch first:D

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Aren't we happy we do not life in rust country. We can actually taking bolts of without breaking out the torch first:D
Speak for your self. Hahaha I live in PA

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You guys sure have your work cut out for yourselves.
:) Life is Good!!!!! Not to bad when I can put 2 or 3 students on each part of the jeep(students change classes every 90 mins. so if we can work on the jeep about 4 hours evey-other day---HOPING it will not take too long). O'yea, we "screw-up" most of the time BUT me and my students are learning and enjoying. At the end-of-the-day, it'll work itself out!!!! :eek:
You should see our other Truck Project..... 89 4x4 Toyota :( .

OUR rust comes from playing in the mud and having a GREAT time :D!!!! Rust...OR... NOT having a Good-TIME????? We'll take the RUST!!! ;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
:) Life is Good!!!!! Not to bad when I can put 2 or 3 students on each part of the jeep(students change classes every 90 mins. so if we can work on the jeep about 4 hours evey-other day---HOPING it will not take too long). O'yea, we "screw-up" most of the time BUT me and my students are learning and enjoying. At the end-of-the-day, it'll work itself out!!!! :eek:
You should see our other Truck Project..... 89 4x4 Toyota :( .

OUR rust comes from playing in the mud and having a GREAT time :D!!!! Rust...OR... NOT having a Good-TIME????? We'll take the RUST!!! ;)
I'll take the rocks, more fun less mess. Been there done that as far as mud goes.

This is way more fun than slip sliding in the mud for me personally. :D
It also does a good job rubbing rust off.

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IT's all GOOD!!!

What is THAT!!!! rocks and a big HILL???? :D
Here where we are at--- we have FLAT lands, swamps and dirt/mud!!!!:) If we get out of the jeep, might be a snake waiting to greet you and then get run-over by a ATV-4/wheeler.....:eek: :) :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
We have more than a few slithering friends around that come with one of them thar baby rattles.
Yup we got hills, some pebbles and lots of sand to play in :D

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gas tank out and cleaning!!!

Finally have the gas tank out!!!!! We have some RUST issues with the "skid/shield plate". WOW! ;) we found the blue paper/plastic tag that has the part number AND 20gal--- guess that means the plastic fuel tank is 20 gals.
Also going to check the OHMs of the sender(full 88 ---empty 0-----half 44 OHMs).

In the picture is one of my students pressure washing the fuel tank...:D

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Not necessarily...
Jeep was funny that way. They put in a 20 gallon tank as an option. Thing was, all the plastic tanks were 20 gallon, but if you didn't pay for the option, they didn't pull the tube. There is a tube in the vent hose hole that only allows it to fill to 15 gallons and you can pull the tube back and cut it to make it a 20 gallon.
Fill it and check it for capacity.
I will find the pics of the tube we pulled from my son's "20 gallon tank" that only held 15.

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not necessarily...
Jeep was funny that way. They put in a 20 gallon tank as an option. Thing was, all the plastic tanks were 20 gallon, but if you didn't pay for the option, they didn't pull the tube. There is a tube in the filler hole that only allows it to fill to 15 gallons and you can pull the tube back and cut it to make it a 20 gallon.
Fill it and check it for capacity.
I will find the pics of the tube we pulled from my son's "20 gallon tank" that only held 15.
As one of my students said..... "that 200 pound girl is TRYING to get into a 100 pound dress"---" not GOOD"!!!! :eek: hahahaha. Then, I say (the teacher in me) "Be Nice"!!!!:eek:.
Back to the tube in the fill hose.... I don't think our fill hose has anything in side it, IF it did-- the students let it drop-off into the tank when they removed the tank. We will check inside the tank when we remove the sending unit.
THANKS for the information.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
It's not in the fill hose, it's in the tank inside where the vent hose connects. It's a black plastic tube.
I will post pics today.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
OK here's the info with pics....

It's really not that difficult to drop the tank, Just be careful of the hoses etc....
The hose clamps can be a bear tho'.

You can see the different size in the two tanks. The smaller one is the 15 gallon tank from the 87, 88, 89, and 90 YJ with a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the engine. (carburetor 4.2L) The larger is from the 91 to 95 YJ 4.0L with fuel injection and the fuel pump is in the tank.
The restrictor tube is in the vent hole.
So we put a screwdriver in between the inner and outer tube, just enough to get the small nose vice grips on it. It's pretty hard plastic, so be careful not to mess up the outer tube.
Once we got a grip on it, it took a pretty hard tug to get it out.
You can see it's 9.5 inches long. We cut 7 inches off of it, and tapped it back in flush with a rubber mallet.
Put a floor jack under it and raised it up into position.
Note: You do not need to remove the nuts or even loosen the nuts on the tank straps. Only the skid plate bolts need to be removed. Also, this is only for the '91 and newer tanks. Before that, the tanks were physically different sizes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THANKS great info. we'll check today!!!!

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Yer welcome. Keep the pics coming.

·
Ag. Shop Teacher
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RearEnd OUT!!!

Well...... we used the plasma cutter to remove the front bolt on the rear spring (our 1in impact wrench would not remove front bolts in spring eye) :rolleyes:. No driver side brake wheel cylinder, rear cover has a repair weld---- :( we will remove and inspect.
LOOKING forward to removing the front axle BUT that is another week!!!:eek:

Attachments

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
If there is any way possible to get rid of that Dana 35 you should do so while it's out.
A bone yard Ford Explorer (99 to 01) is the best, strongest replacement and it has the same lug bolt pattern (5 on 4.5), and a better e-brake, AND it will give you disc brakes too. A lot of junk yards give a discount to school auto shops if you ask. The 8.8 will be hard to destroy, the D35 is going to eat itself with bigger tires and a heavy foot.
Just a suggestion.
The Dana 30 in the front is strong. Just match the gear ratios within point two. eg... Jeeps are 4:10, Fords are 4:11.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts