Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil has saturated my air filter from the valve cover. Is it as simple to fix as a pcv valve and new air filter or do i have much bigger problems? Jeep runs awesome other than that and raw fuel smell recently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue here. I think it's weak valves or worn valve guides letting pressure into the valve cover so it blows oil back into the hose going to the air filter. Cheaper to regularly replace the air filter than fix the problem.

·
43 Posts
You could rig up a 'Puke can' to the PVC valve and plug the air cleaner line recepticle nipple. It won't solve any pre-existing blow-by, but it will keep the Air Cleaner clean.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if there is fuel in the blow by, you most likely have bad rings or head gasket. Pull your dipstick and smell the oil. If you smell fuel, you may have a head gasket leak that is allowing fuel to enter an oil galley. This would also add to the over-pressure in the crankcase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil has saturated my air filter from the valve cover. Is it as simple to fix as a pcv valve and new air filter or do i have much bigger problems? Jeep runs awesome other than that and raw fuel smell recently.
Could be a vacuum line that goes to the rear rocker box has melted a hole inspect for a hole
And replace let us know if that helps, it cured the problem for me

·
Registered
3 Posts
You did not mention the year but on my 92 yj the hose from the air cleaner to the valve cover if dipped DOWN can allow oil from the crank to be drawn into the air filter. If you bump UP the hose so that the oil is not as easily drawn up and over the hump it will reduce or eliminate the air filter clogging. I have heard of other that put a drip hose in with a small can to catch any oil. good luck, let us know what you wind up doing! :)

·
shawn111
1 Posts
I have same thing oil in air filter

I own a 1995 wrangler and it has a 4 cyl.I have the same thing going on I was using 5w30 oil then I put 10w4o oil it got a lot better. but not fixed all the way I have asked a few jeep places near me they all say something different. One said it was the intake gasket ,the other said it was the rings , and still another said the vacuum canister I have checked compression it is good and all even the vacuum line to the valve cover is working the engine runs great I have not replaced the intake gasket yet I do not know what else to do but would that fix it or is it the rings I do have moisture on the dip stick but milky looking just pitting from moisture

1 - 8 of 8 Posts