Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Don't lie to him!

He's messing with you.
Jeeps with automatics are for the mall and taking kids to school only.
Do not attempt to off-road with it.
Especially if it has round headlights and coil springs. Failure will occur.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
BTW I'm kidding. Yes you can off road with it. Hummers have automatics and look how well they do. Jeeps with an automatic can do almost as well as a Hummer H2.
Be very careful if you have round headlights and coil springs tho'.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
Don't lie to him!

He's messing with you.
Jeeps with automatics are for the mall and taking kids to school only.
Do not attempt to off-road with it.
Especially if it has round headlights and coil springs. Failure will occur.
pissoff.gif

I have a 2006 TJ with an auto and round headlights and have wheeled it all over the country, but I do change the trans fluid once a year. No problems in 76,000 miles.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
Auto transmissions are for lazy Jeepers. Just like round headlights are for crazy Jeepers.
Cars have automatic transmissions. Jeeps have manual transmissions. Well, real Jeeps do. Would you buy a motorcycle with an automatic transmission? How about a race vehicle? Steet rod?
Actually, for the record, I don't care. I just like to smoke, er uh, I meant stir the pot.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
Auto transmissions are for lazy Jeepers. Just like round headlights are for crazy Jeepers.
Cars have automatic transmissions. Jeeps have manual transmissions. Well, real Jeeps do. Would you buy a motorcycle with an automatic transmission? How about a race vehicle? Steet rod?
Actually, for the record, I don't care. I just like to smoke, er uh, I meant stir the pot.
I know your messing around, but you can never out shift an automatic. For Drag racing an automatic is a better option (if setup right). Consistent, and alway putting power down. However for me personally I still drive manuals. Even my toy drag/street car was a stick. I like that control.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
You folks are wierd... :) good info, though...thanks
Ohh yeah!! It's a fun place to hangout. But the seating is limited on our short bus.

·
Internet Owner
9,510 Posts
I know your messing around, but you can never out shift an automatic. For Drag racing an automatic is a better option (if setup right). Consistent, and alway putting power down. However for me personally I still drive manuals. Even my toy drag/street car was a stick. I like that control.
I have mixed emotions about manual/auto in Jeeps. It seems like an auto would be good, but it doesn't look like the throttle control is as finite as a clutch and gas option. You can't bring the rpm's up and use the clutch to apply just the right amount of power with an auto. You can use the brake and drive the torque up I understand, but brakes aren't as sensitive as a clutch IMO.
I off road with my Avalanche (auto) pretty often. Just last weekend I did quite a bit in Arizona. (I missed my Jeep but there were six of us). It just wasn't the same with the auto. I didn't feel I had the same control like I do in my Wrangler.
I'm old school I know. I'm sure you get used to the auto and deal with it's advantages/disadvantages. I just have a lot more experience with the manual while off roading for the last fifty years.
And yes, I was messing around.

·
Lazy Slacker
10,453 Posts
I have mixed emotions about manual/auto in Jeeps. It seems like an auto would be good, but it doesn't look like the throttle control is as finite as a clutch and gas option. You can't bring the rpm's up and use the clutch to apply just the right amount of power with an auto. You can use the brake and drive the torque up I understand, but brakes aren't as sensitive as a clutch IMO.
I off road with my Avalanche (auto) pretty often. Just last weekend I did quite a bit in Arizona. (I missed my Jeep but there were six of us). It just wasn't the same with the auto. I didn't feel I had the same control like I do in my Wrangler.
I'm old school I know. I'm sure you get used to the auto and deal with it's advantages/disadvantages. I just have a lot more experience with the manual while off roading for the last fifty years.
And yes, I was messing around.
I also like the control of a manual..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts